Monday, June 18, 2007

June 18, 2007


It is hard to remember what day it is when one does not work anymore. It is also hard to remember all of the user names we put down on stuff for the internet. I had a real time getting back in here this morning.

We are in Duncan, Az. @ our daughter's. They have fixed us up with full hookups for the coach. Been here 2 weeks. Will head over to Lake Havasu next Monday on our way to San Francisco. We have a friend out in the Bay area that has a GMC motor home shop. He is going to swap out our final drive for a lower one so we can tow easier in the Rockies. We do fine on small mountains but will be nice to have a little more oomp when we head up some of these long grades out west.

We are not full timers as we still own a home in Dexter, Mo. Last July I retired from the Mo. Board of Probation and Parole. I had 30 years of credited service so it was time to go. I was the supervisor of the smallest office in the state. I had 9 workers and we supervised 500 offenders, Stoddard County, Mo. I don't miss the work. I do miss my head secretary, Brenda. She took real good care of me. I doubt I could have supervised that office without her.

Teri and I met in 2001 on the Oklahoma Christian College website. Both of our spouses had found others that they enjoyed more than us after 25 years of marriage. I had 2 grown children, Teri had two grown children, and now we have "adopted" a young lady and son. So it is your's mine and our's. We have 12 little grandchildren and we love each one of them equally. Anyway, Teri was living in Safford, Az. We courted over the phone and internet. I made trips here and she there until we married. Teri moved to Mo. with me and left her job with the University of Az. We have been married over 6 years and we enjoy each other very much.

About 4 or 5 years ago, we started looking at RV's for retirement. After spending a year trying to decide what we wanted we figured if we bought a cheap motor home we could see if we liked it. If so, I would work another 5 years so we could pay cash for a new one. We decided a GMC would suit us for now. Found one near Austin, Tx. on the internet that looked to meet our expectations. I took the Friday off work before Labor Day, 2004 and we drove all night to see it. Well we bought it and drove it back to Mo. with no problems.

After a few weeks, I discovered the GMCnet. Several hundred GMC owners (coach has not been built since 1978) and started asking questions and learning how to take care of this old machine. Well, Teri and I enjoyed the 26 foot machine so much, we decided to keep it, spend money on it, and I could retire now. That is what we have done. We have spent several thousand dollars on it and we have more accessories than most new ones. And, best part is, we don't owe anyone for it. Time to get going. Thanks for stopping by.

Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home