Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rural Life in Arizona

Yuk, I hate these little boogers. The cats are being fed too well and they are not doing their job. This should not be. We found several of these things in the barn today and they are not afraid. That tells me they are living too good a life.


I was raised on a farm but I was never what I call a real farm boy. I had been exposed to living in town until I was 7 years old. My dad then yanked us up and out we went. I never lost my love for the Leave it to Beaver living before we went to the country. My mother was an English teacher who was raised on a farm in Arkansas. She told my dad that she was not going to let her kids be raised like she was with no inside bath. Well, he turned the churning room into a bathroom and to the farm we went.





Today reminded me of some of my childhood days on the farm. Our daughter and her family live in a rural area and have lots of animals, along with some farm ground and a ranch. The three grandkids are learning valuable lessons here. Today it was calf feeding. The mother of this calf is kinda the family pet and has had trouble with all 6 of her offspting. It is a feeding thing. So, the newborn is here at the house being taken care of by the kids. Responsibility is a good thing for kids to learn early. Video games and cell phones are ok but all children need to learn some responsibility. Our three here are active in all kinds of outside activities including 4h, Scouts, and school sports. I am sure that they will become well rounded citizens. I wish all children could spend at least a year working on a farm and caring for livestock. Hey, I did not like it myself but I did learn a lot on the farm that helped me all through life. Maybe 2 years in the service would be of benefit to all men after high school too. We could protect our southern border. I did not like that either but it helped me in many ways. I certainly had no problems respecting authority after I was discharged.



Look at this. Now, could you actually put this on your table for supper? That was one thing I always hated, eating the livestock that we raised. It seems that I always got attached to them and it was a sad day when they went off to suffer capitol punishment. Oh, I love hamburgers and steak, but not my animals.
Hope everyone had a great weekend. Was 70 plus here again today. The wrong guy won the Nascar Race but I had a very good day, no geocaching. We have friends coming Monday to visit as they pass through town on their way to Nevada. They are part of the church of Christ Sojourner's group and are headed to Nevada to help a small congregation.
Come back when you can. No telling what we might be doing. I overheard Teri making plans with our friends at church tonight about hitting the desert again.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home