Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Clifton, Arizona

Oh yea, look at these signs. Don't want to be here when Spring comes. Guess what will be crawling out of the rocks.


Do you ever have a day where you feel like you are just stuck in jail? I think John Wayne must have run this one. There is a dark hole going down to two cells. No lights. Whew, would not have wanted to sleep in there. Remember the snakes? This thing is carved right out of the mountain side. All rock. Festus Hagen would not have worked here.




One of the locomotives that has been restored in Clifton. Pretty neat.
















Another old train loco that has been restored. Our first geocache but I have been sworn to secrecy. Can not tell where this is, at least the coordinates. I have been warned by Teri, the chief hunter in the family.























Now, look at this. Do you think any sane person would climb up this? Looks like a good place to take your mother in law if you are having trouble with her. I do not have any problems with mine. She is a sweetheart and treats me like a son. Just saying, well you know what I mean.
























This sign should be heeded. I failed to read it until we got down. This is no climb for a fat old guy with a fuzed right foot.








Hmmm, wonder who that good looking lady is?















That little black spot, that is our car. We were only half way up when I took this one.

























Oh, see these stickers in my leg? Guess what, they jump off of the cactus and into your leg. Teri is picking them out of me now. You have been warned.















Ok, now I can not tell you where this is but we went up there. Pictures will follow.
















Yep, I told you. We made it all the way to the Veteran's Memorial. Very neat but I advise you to take a helicopter. Don't climb the half mile up the mountain. They don't even allow mules on this trail, if you can call it a trail.



















Teri made it. See her trusty little gps unit?
Why did I buy this thing?
















Believe it or not, this is not trick photography. Your's truly was on top of this thing. Geocaching. Wow, I just love it. This was one heck of a climb, at noon too. I am telling you I would have been cussing halfway up if I were prone to profanity. This is not a place that I will return to, not without a helicopter. I did not want Teri to feel bad, she is the three mile daily walker, so I let her get just a little bit ahead of me. That was tuff for me to do but hey, I am a good guy. Someone stole the stash from the top of this mountain. That Teri spent an hour up there looking for it. It was gone. Oh well, we had a great time, yea right. We did create a great memory though. This is one morning that will always be a part of our recollection.
So, we did two geostashes on our first try. That Teri is really good with the little Garmin handheld unit. I just can not wait for our next "run". Just hope it is some place that I don't need to carry an oxygen bottle with me.
Well, yall got off easy, I had to actually climb this thing. I bet we will have sore legs in the morning. I may have to use masking tape on my left shoe. Just about walked the soul right off of it. Let me rest Wednesday. We will get more pictures later in the week. I may pick the next spot that we go to.
Have a great evening. Count your blessings that you can sit at home and climb this mountain with us.
Dan















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home