Saturday, August 14, 2010

Veterans

Some days are good and some are better. We have an on demand propane water heater in our coach. It is used primarily for showers when we are dry camping. The "slider" on/off switch is hard to operate with soapy hands. So, I have been looking for another way to turn it off and on. Home Depot has a "shut off" button and I knew it. This morning I run down to the local Vancouver Home Depot. Of course I can not find it. A 20 year old kid wants to help me. Ok. He takes me to where the shower heads are, looks a bit, "nope, we don't carry that item". Hmmm. He just stands there. "Ok, I will just look around then", and I walk off. When he is gone, I go back and get what I came into the store for, 5 bux, and up to the register. Grab a 2 dollar screwdriver for the car and head to a pretty young lady's register with no one in line. She is very pleasant. "Are you a veteran?". A big smile comes on my face and I tell her I am. She then gives me the 10% discount without me ever thinking to ask. What a pleasant end to what would have been a fruitless trip if I had listened to the first kid.
We carry a copy of my DD214 in the car glove box but I have never used it. Just never think about it. This little lady was very nice and brought a big smile to my face this morning. Maybe I will now remember to take my discharge paper into Home Depot from now on. I think Lowe's also gives veterans 10% off too.
On the way out I see the plastic/rubber out buildings have come way down in price since we got our's. When we get home I will be heading to Home Depot to grab one of them and be sure to get my 10% off. We need a second one so I can park the scooter in it and clean out the garage. I can barely get my Mustang in and out. We will put the new building behind the garage and use it.
Hope yall are having a pleasant weekend. We are spending our last night in Vancouver before we head back to the eastern part of the state. Will stay a night or two there and head east, toward Omaha, our next stop. 1500 miles should take about 24 hours, plus or minus, depending on how long I sleep when we stop.
Tonight we will get to try out Teri's new handheld gps I bought her. Looking forward to that.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home