Friday, March 2, 2012
We started this job Wednesday. Colsyn was my helper. He kept telling grandpa how greasy this job was. I just smiled and told him to pass me the paper towels. Well, after a few minutes I had to retrieve my own paper towels. Colsyn was nowhere to be found.
Today, I had Colsyn's 5 yr. old little brother, Rylan. Now let me tell you, he is grandpa's buddy. Ry did not leave grandpa's side until we had the driver's side finished.
Passenger's side stripped. There is nothing to this job. Pull the wheel. Pull the drum, after loosening the axle nut. Three bolts hold the backing plate on so it is simple to get off. Clean the spindle.
With the bearings greased and in the hub, slip it all back on. Tighten the nut while spinning the hub in reverse to set the bearings. In this shot you can see the caliper is mounted. Nothing to this either but I had to pull it to put a couple of shims behind it so nothing rubbed. The kit comes with shims to put behind the inner wheel bearing but I was not about to pull it off so I shimmed the caliper. Now, with experience, I did shim the hub on the driver's side. If I ever replace the bearings I will shim the passenger side.4 shims came with the kit.I used one.
I quit for the day as it was getting late. Took the bug for a ride. When I got home I pulled on top of wheel, it moved. Off came the wheel and dust cover for a little more tightening. All is good. Don't think it is too tight.
Here is the driver's side with the backing plate still on. It is hard to use a white camera while doing such a greasy job. Three bolts and the plate is off.
Here is a picture with the mounting plate for the new caliper installed. Make sure you mount it with the "recessed ear" facing inward. Calipers mount on rear of spindle.
Ry thought he should grab the camera before we finished. I am telling you, this is not a difficult job. If you can do your own bearings you can do this job. Today, Ry and I spent about an hour doing this side.
On the driver's side the speedometer cable comes thru the spindle and is held in the dust cap with a very small clip. Don't lose it. Also, put the cable back in and lock it before tapping the dust cap back on. Just before we replaced the wheel I had Rylan get in and pump up the brakes. I bled the upper bleeder, shut it off, and had him pump them up again. This guy is some kind of mechanic's helper. We put the wheel on and off we went. We have brakes that will stop us on a dime now. The plan is to do the rears next but I won't be in a big hurry because this thing stops great.
Let me insert this thing. It is a bearing greaser. I got this one at Autozone. Will never do another bearing without one of these 6 dollar tools.
Bearing is between the cups and we shoot grease through the fitting on top of the bolt. I am telling you, this is slick.
Look close. This is a new dual chamber master cylinder that I put on last week. This was a lot harder than the brakes. I was too tired to take pictures while doing it. I pulled the front, fiberglass cap, and gas tank so I could get down in here. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to replace this thing. Notice I mounted the reservoir right onto the M/C. This will be a little tough to fill but so much nicer than running more lines. I can turn the front wheels to the right and get to it. Should you do one of these, leave the M/C loose so you can bend the brake lines to fit. Took me an hour to get three lines to start into the threads.
Have I said, "we have brakes"? I am telling you, this is worth the money. There is a vdub website called "Rob and Dave's Aircooled Volkswagen Pages". Look it up and read about this swap before you attempt it. I read through the directions there 3 times. Made it all so easy to do. Anything you might want to know about a beetle is on this site. I even learned that the rear brake drums, on a 66, have holes that will line up with the adjusters so I can adjust the brear brake shoes without pulling the dog gone axle nut. No holes in the backing plates. Also, thanks to the guys on the "aircooledmissouri.com" net, for encouraging me. You guys are great. This is an awsome forum for aircooled vdub folks.
There you have it. I am so glad to be finished. I sweated this job way too long. Replacing the master cylinder was the tough part of this and I forgot to "dread" that part.
Also, thanks to Teri and the two grandsons for giving me a hand.
Life is good.