Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Lifestyle

Did you get the impression that I do not like "camping" from my last post? I got several comments from many friends on that post. Especially about the part where I hope most folks keep working and do not try this.
RVing is not even close to camping. Oh, many folks own an rv of some type and take it out once or twice a month during nice weather months. They mostly go camping. They have the gas lanterns and pump up cook stoves. We had all that when I was a kid. These folks enjoy going 20 miles up to a lake or state park and paying 15-20 bux a night for a pad. That is good, especially if they have children and can spend quality time with them. Families can only succeed if they have lots of quality time together. Many of these couples will grow into "rving" when the kids are gone.
Last week Teri and I got to visit with some "full time" rvers. They have sold their house, got rid of all of their possessions, and hit the road, living in their rv. They tell me how "free" they feel once they accomplish this. I think I could do it someday. I have only the car that my dad bought me in 1970 that I would like to keep. Everything else is of no particular importance to me. I think I could get rid of everything. It will take me some time to work on Teri though. She likes having a house. I do too but why? We just have to pay taxes and insurance on it. Grass has to be mowed. Utilities must be paid. It just seems to me that these expenses can be avoided. We spent a great deal of time making our house as maintenance free as possible but those taxes and insurance bills just keep coming in. Sell it and stick that money in the bank. When we grow "old" we can buy another one.
Teri and I would never travel like we do if it were not for the motorhome. We will not go places and sleep for a month in motels. You never know what has been in those beds the night before you check in. We enjoy cooking in our own kitchen and having our own bathroom, not to mention sleeping in our own bed every night. There is absolutely no way we could travel this cheap. Our car gets over 35 mpg and we use it. We drive the coach to where we plan to stay and park it. Don't want to go cruising with an Oldsmobile 455 hauling over 12,000 pounds around, even though it is a cool ride.
No, I am not trying to convince anyone to try this lifestyle. I mean we are out away from home for 4 months at a time seeing our family and friends, and checking out the sights. I would still be working had we not bought the motorhome. I had a very good job and was paid pretty good. When we got the coach I found out that I really liked living in it. I have even been known to sleep a night or two in it while parked in the driveway. I had to work, so I could not get away. Hey, when the sun goes down it looks the same in here whether we are in California Redwoods or the driveway at home.
We will be getting out this week and I will get some new photos. Our friends want to take us out in the mountains and show us some Indian stuff. We will take their laptop so I can show them how to operate their new GPS. Teri says I am tearing out the plumbing, in the morning, under the sink. I have worked on it for three years and the drain still leaks. It is all fixing to be new. I can move the trap back over against the wall and give her more space under there for storage.
Oh, we got some unsolicited "comments" today in the comment section of Friday's post. Don't click the links, advertizing Bayer asprin. Some spam garbage. I stopped that today by resetting some of the contols.
Monday is coming up quick, one of my favorite days. Hope everyone has a great week. Come back when you have time. Tell a friend how much you appreciate them one day this week. Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home