Friday, February 15, 2008

Motorhoming

I realize that this life is not for everyone. When I was younger my dad bought a fifthwheel. I could not for the life of me understand why grown people would want to go "camping". I mean, that is what we did when I was a kid and dad needed a rain on the crops. We would pack up a tent, load up some supplies, and head to the lake. Rained every dog gone time, at least at the lake. there was no decent bathroom, no tv, no anything. If we were lucky we had an am radio to listen to. Just was not my kind of "living". I like my toys back at home. My dad died before he got to use his fifth wheel the way he wanted.
Now I am older. I have learned that my dad did not really plan to go "camping" in his fifth wheel. He was going to go places in style. Well, now I can see it. Camping is roughing it. Motorhoming or traveling with a fifthwheel does not need to be "camping". I mean, if I can not take my toys from home, I am not going. Folks, I have all of my toys from home right here in the motorhome. My ham radio equipment. Satellite tv, and yes, even the modern day internet. This is living. If I don't get along with my neighbors, I just move to a different neighborhood. If I grow tired of the scenery, I find something different. Hey, I even have an automatic dump so I don't have to dread the once a week job. Did I mention, I don't like getting dirty either.
Living in a motorhome is an adventure. Not everyone understands and I am glad because some of yall need to stay home and pay taxes so I can stay out here. Even with gasoline at all time high prices one could not travel as cheap as we do, especially being out for 4 months at a time. Friends of mine say, "I'll just stay in motels, much cheaper". Wrong, but I do not argue the point. Like I said I need some of yall to keep working.
This lifestyle is not for everyone, I repeat that. I mean, who wants to see the west coast and stay for a month or two looking at the dog gone seals steal crab bait from the crab traps. Who would want to sit on the Columbia Gourge and look at the river that Lewis and Clark traveled 200 years ago. Not too many want to see where John Wayne and Matt Dillon must have grown up, wild west of Arizona. Who would ever want to stay at the mouth of the Carlsbad Caverns for days enjoying the sites there? All of this while sleeping in one's own bed, watching their own tv and hanging out on the internet even in the most remote areas of our country.
Motohoming is not for most folks. It is better for yall to sleep in motels where the beds are always nice and clean. Calling to get reservations where you know that the showers are very clean and sanitary. Speeding along on the nice interstate highways of our country at 75 mph. Nope, yall don't need to see the backroads that are two lanes and pass through every little one horse town along the way. Leave all of this kind of stuff for Teri, Sam, and me. We will do the hard work for you. You guys just rush rush rush to wherever it is that you want to go and leave this motorhoming stuff to the select few that are willing to sacrifice for the rest of you. I feel that it is my duty to make these sacrifices for you and will continue this for you as long as I am able. Just an occasional thank you is all that I need from yall.
I hope everyone has a nice weekend. Teri and I have been invited to an elk steak lunch tomorrow by some of our new found friends, You see, I love friends. I will never have as many as I need. That is another thing I do for some of you, meet folks that you don't have much in common with. I get lots of meals but that is one of the things I must do for you in my sacrificing lifestyle.
Dan

3 Comments:

At February 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM , Blogger Dan & Teri Gregg said...

Thanks for the unwanted advertizement. It wont happen again.

 
At February 19, 2008 at 6:20 PM , Blogger G. B. Miller said...

WOW! You've convinced me! I've always thought I would love doing this. Now, we have to convince my dear hubby. We've tossed the idea around as something to maybe do somewhere down the road. Well, at my age of 57 and his age of 65, that road is getting pretty short, pretty fast. In the meantime, we will just have to pay the taxes and help support you two on your (journeys. :)

Anyway, love your blog. Just discovered it tonight when Betty McClane forwarded the note from Teri about Joann. I knew it was about a year ago that our dear Joann left her earthly home and moved on to her heavenly home. I just wasn't sure of the exact date. She was indeed an exceptionally special person.

Gaye (and Ron) Miller
(Bernie Church of Christ)

 
At February 19, 2008 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Dan & Teri Gregg said...

Thanks Gaye. I knew Ron was old but I always thought you looked much younger than stated age. We appreciate Betty forwarding the note to you. She is a very dear friend to both of us. Maybe we can visit with Ron when we get home about this. If he would part with his Corvette yall could do this in style.
Dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home