Friday, February 8, 2008

A Day of Traveling



















































Oh, I got one in there twice. Act like you didn't see it. We had a great time today. It was time for a break. Instead of heading down south of I-10, we stayed north and went to the back side of Mt. Graham. Teri got lots of pictures. I saved some for later. We were up at 5500 feet. Snow was right on the side of the hiway. I got to coast the Vibe for 5 miles coming down on the west side of the mountain. Teri was trying to get me to slow down so she could get a picture. I got it slowed from 77mph to 70. Oh boy, I learned that was not what she meant. I hate to break a good coast. Hey, that is free mileage. We have a scan gauge and it showed 400 mpg. That was great. We were practically making gasoline. I have a blast playing with that little gauge. Having a 6 speed transmission makes it pretty easy to get good mileage. We averaged 37 mpg today on our outing. remember, I had to climb that mountain also.
Teri is pretty slick. While I was stopped at the gas pumps she snuck into a sandwich shop and grabbed our picnic lunch. I did not know it til we stopped, at the end of the pavement. She pulled out those big subways.
We could have driven much farther today if we had the Jeep. I do not like taking her car on gravel so we stopped when the pavement stopped. I told Teri we will pull the Jeep out here next time and do some real searching around. Even on the pavement we were way out in the boonies. Saw several boondocking rigs scattered around the mountains. One big dead coyote. That does not look right. Big fox. How is that? Same family. An old store that Teri remembered from years ago had closed, but we got a picture of it. Found a prison way out there in the boonies. Arizona has more prisons scattered around here than Missouri. No better place for a prison than out in the desert. If they escape, where will they go? I like that.
When we were up about 5,000 feet we could see for 60 or 70 miles. We saw snow covered mountains way over east in New Mexico. What a view.
They charge you 5 bux to pull into a state park out here. We wanted to see Roper Park but when I saw that 5 bux, I just turned around. That is over a gallon and a half of gas. Just to drive through. I could not believe it.
Well, that is pretty much what we did today. Got mad in home Depot. I hope I never need to go into this one again. People everywhere and none of them can help a person. They must just drag folks in off the streets and put them on the clock in the Safford store. It is about half pint size to any Home Depot we have been in before and they carry very little stuff that we need. The local Ace has way more selection than they do. Even Walmart has parts Home Depot does not.
Hope everyone has a great weekend. Thanks for stopping by. Dan





2 Comments:

At February 9, 2008 at 4:15 PM , Blogger Wally and Sue said...

Been looking at the map of where you were. Bonita on 266 looks like it is at the end of the hard surface road unless you go farther back around to Ft Grant. 366 shows closed in winter where it goes into that part of Coronado national forest but is only partway hard surfaced. Read on the web that the Bonita post office closed in 1955.

 
At February 11, 2008 at 8:15 PM , Blogger Dan & Teri Gregg said...

Yea, man it is way out in the middle of nowhere. Will bring the Jeep next time and run the gravel roads out. I don't drive the Vibe on gravel. Thanks for checking up on us Wally.
Dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home