Thursday, March 19, 2009

Beautiful Day For A 400 Mile Drive Through The South

We got up and left Monroe at 8 am. Crossed into Ms. shortly after. Here is the Ms. River.
Stopped at the welcome center in Vicksburg.













Drove over to Selma, Al. This is where Martin L. King Jr. had his march back in the mid 60's. We stopped at the bridge to sight see and grab a geocache.





Here is the underside of the famous bridge.









A very nice little park below the bridge. We enjoyed touring the area and remembering what happened here. I still remember the incident being broadcast on the CBS evening news. I was almost 11 years old.




Teri found the stash and left one of the travel bugs we had.




















Top of the bridge where the march to Montgomery began. Wow, lots of history here, good and bad.
When we went to start the coach up I fried the starter. It has been dragging ever since we bought the coach in 2004. I carried a spare starter and today we needed it.








Teri called Good Sam's. They were sending someone from Montgomery. I told them to cancel it. I found 2 younger than me men that would change the starter. I was not getting under the thing while it was jacked up. They did and used their jack. Changed it out in about 30 minutes. Good Sam's forgot to cancel the truck from Montgomery. I had 37 bux in my pocket. The two said that was plenty. They had actually volunteered to fix it for me. Nice guys who were working in a shop where we parked.











Yep, there are two guys under there. Nope, ain't no way I am getting under there without jackstands. I asked them to use a pair but they did not think it was necessary. OK.












Here they come. It is done. I stripped a nut on a solenoid so we used a pair ov vise grips to hold the starter wires on. I will fix that when we get to Dothan, IF WE GET THERE.
Right now we are 40 miles north of Dothan. Got something thumping in the rear. Maybe a tire. Will see what we can figure out in the morning. Also, I drove all afternoon with aboput 8 psi fuel pressure. That is half what we need going into the fuel injectors. Ok on flats but oh we hurt climbing the least little hill with the Vibe in tow. I will buy a fuel filter in the morning and hope that fixes the problem. We had this problem back in Sept but it fixed itself.
So, there you have it. Our day was a good one except for a couple of bumps along the way. Walmart had no parking signs so they missed our money tonight. Had planned to get some food and ice cream, along with cash from the debit card. Oh well. We drove across the street to Lowes and they let us park for the night. Sitting here resting and watching tv. Say a little prayer that I can figure all of this out in the morning. Come on back when you can and see how long it takes us to get the last 40 miles behind us.
Dan
PS
Guess what? The girl at Good Sam's failed to cancel the truck from Montgomery. As we were 25 or south of Montgomery he called us looking. I know he was mad. I was upset. We tried to call Good Sams but long wait so we hung up. Took 20 minutes to get through to them the first time. I will email them to let them know how upset I am.
Oh, our toad brake quit again. 3rd time the Roadmaster Brakepro has failed.












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home