Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Rain Has Stopped

Wow, we have been wet here for a long time. Seems that we get two days each week to work in the cotton and the rest of the time it rains. The sun is out today. the word I have gotten is that Tuesday we may be able to mud the pickers through the field. I hope so. Do not want to be working when it is zero degrees out there.
Here are some pictures of the cotton module building that I do. When I was a kid we dragged a sack and hand picked the cotton. It was weighed and dumped into a trailer. The trailer was pulled to the gin and emptied. Totally different today. Looking into the builder from my office window.
This arm is operated by hydraulics. It tamps the cotton down.


Cotton being dumped into the module builder. We get about 3 big dumps in one of the builders.


Yep, that is my office.





A shot of the buggy dumping more cotton into the builder. We build big bales. A truck comes and pulls these big bales into it and off to the gin. This is a lot easier than it used to be. I enjoy running the module builder. I put pictures up last year when we were working but thought I might put these up for new readers.

We can pick 100 acres per day barring no breakdowns or bad weather. So far, we have finished about 500 acres. We have another 500 to go. 5 good days might do it but I figure more like 8 or 9 days, depending on weather. I hope we can get done soon. The Vdub is going to be finished soon and we must drive back to Topeka, In. to pull ithome. Would like to make that trip before it starts snowing. We will be right on the Michigan line and it can get mighty cold up there.
Hope everyone is having a good week. The sun sure feels good coming through our south facing picture window. We are glad to see it after so many cloudy and rainy days. I saw the forecast. Should be good weather here all week.
Catch you next time.
Dan





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home