Friday, November 21, 2008

Vista Operating System

Need I say more? We paid 475 in Eureka, Ca. back in July. Grabbed 20 gallons just so we could get into Oregon where it was cheaper.
The first price shown here is in July also but in Vancouver, Wa.


This picture was taken this morning, here in Dexter, as we returned from our morning walk.

My father had a filling station when I was 5 years old. I would hang out there as much as he would allow, with my grandfather. Gasoline then, 1960, was 19 cents per gallon, full service. In 1970 I paid 25 cents per gallon. That was at 300 gallons, delivered to my tank. I was known to burn two full tanks, 16 gallons each, in one night just cruising in my Mustang. That was 32 gallons of fuel and never going anywhere. We did a lot of racing from town to town so it took a few gallons.
No more on that topic. It could lead to some depressing thoughts.
This new laptop has Vista on it. So far most everything is working as did Windows XP. Seems to take longer to load up and shut down but most everything else works good. Now, I can not get my Discovery Owners files to download into my Streets and Trips. Neither can I get the GMC Black List to download. I need these files before we take off in a few weeks. I get some message that says a file is messed up. I reloaded my Streets and Trips but still get the same message. My Question is: Has anyone used Vista to successfully download these files into Streets and Trips? I don't plan to pull out of the driveway without these maps. I use them nearly daily when we travel in the GMC. We have all the Walmarts, truckstops, and GMC owners along the way at our fingertips. Driving without that is kinda like, well it is just risky buisness" when traveling in a motorhome.
The GMC Motorhome Black List was set up by my friend Roger Black, over in Tennessee. He came up with this brilliant idea. All of the GMC motorhome owners, that wish, can submit their name and address and have it included in this list. It has room for phone numbers and other information, such as, yes, we have a place for you to spend the night, or, we have tools to help fix your broken coach, and the like. What an idea Roger had. There are so many names and addresses in this list that it keeps traveling GMC owners close by others of same interests almost anywhere we travel. I know folks that have lost an engine while enroute. When called, others have gone out, helped get coach to safe place, pulled engine and replaced, all for free labor. Can you believe it? See why I say that GMC motorhome folks are great. Everyone shares information and labor with each other. So, I can not leave home without my list in this new laptop. Someone out there can help me out, I know it. gregg_dan at hotmail.com
I also carry a list of free dump stations, free campsites, and other maps so I need to get this in this new laptop before we take off.
So, I will keep this post short. Got a room to clean. Hope all of you have a great weekend. Thanks for the visit.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home