Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Rolling On in a GMC Motorhome

Ok, do you remember this happy GMC Motorhome?

Here it is not so happy.

And all because of this little critter in the fuzzy picture. Most all GMC Motorhome owners carry a spare one of these. This is the gear that was broken off in the bottom of the transmission governor. It rides along spinning the governor which tells the transmission to shift up to the next higher gear. If this is not working you are stuck in low gear, along with reverse. I not only carry a spare gear I have the entire governor, thanks to our good friend Wally. So much easier to just pop another governor in and drill the old part out later. I hope I never need this but one never knows. The gear that broke looked like it had been hot several times and it was kinda brittle. Usually these things strip teeth but this one just snapped. There was nothing causing it to bind. Everything was free. We pulled the speedometer gear and also checked the cable. All was well. That is why I think it was just old and brittle. Also, while I was beating the roll pin out of it the thing split, popping my thumbnail.
Our new found friends were on the road Saturday afternoon and again Sunday. We have not heard from them since Sunday. I did call and leave a message on their phone but no return call. That makes me think all is well with them.
Whew, today is really my first day to get rested up. Did rest some Sunday between services. Yesterday I had a job replacing a power supply in a camera monitoring system at the Pilot Truckstop in Lordsburg. Called my good friend Jeff, in Silver City, and he met me there for lunch. He also swapped out the power supply for me. That was a good deal.
When our towing brake stopped working it also locked up my car tires. That caused a bad flat spot on one of the front tires. I rotated it to the back today so it rides better. Will be replacing the tires shortly.
Teri helped our daughter in her first grade class today.
Not much else I can add. Have not really been anywhere to get pictures as I am just enjoying the 75 degree temps. May venture out later.
Hope everyone is having a good week. Tomorrow is hump day for you sorking slaves out there.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home