Thursday, November 3, 2011

Golden Opportunities

Oh wow, it has been a few days since I have sat down to visit with you. Things are all good here. Normally about this time of year Teri and I are thinking about closing up the house and getting the GMC ready to head west for a few months. 06 was the last winter we spent in Missouri. Well, we are going to stick it out here this winter. Should be fun after seeing no real winter for so long.
Sometimes opportunities present themselves at a good time. We have been very fortunate in life. I gave myself a really good 52nd birthday gift by retiring. Teri and I have enjoyed going where we want, when we want, for over 5 years now. We have seen lots of neat places and made many great friends. Traveling in the GMC has been great and will continue to be good for us.
Shortly after I retired I joined Teri as a part time probation officer for a circuit court, just west of here. Well, we were contacted a few months ago about coming back, her with the circuit court and me as a Poplar Bluff city officer. We talked about it but were not finished traveling and were not financially destitute. After learning what they would pay us if we would come, we chose to take them up on the offer. So, we are working 3 days a week, started back in September.
This is mostly fun stuff for me. Remember I was in the "buisness" for almost 30 years. When I retired I was the District Administrator for one of the State offices. But, as I always told my employees, being a probation officer was the most fun job within the Dept. of Corrections. The stories one hears. So, I am hearing them again and get paid very well for listening. Life is good.
We do enjoy this and will do it for a while. Then, back out on the road we go. The GMC is in great shape. Everything has been upgraded to make it a modern vehicle. I have put two engines in it. I guess that played some part in us accepting this position for a while. But, we will continue to take 10-14 day trips, even while we work. Most weeks we work 3 days, sometimes 4, and sometimes 2. Pretty much how we arrange things, with the exception of our court work. Both Teri and I spend time in court. The city court is all computerized with little actual paperwork. I have a new netbook with all of the information I need stored in it. Saves taking files to court. I enjoy it. The Poplar Bluff City Court is very organized and there is basically no "down time" during court. I have never seen such a streamlined process. I always hated court. Too slow and lots of valuable time wasted. Not here. With my little computer I work while the court passes many folks through, almost like a cattle auction. They email me my information and I "slide" it right into my newly created folder. Yes, this is a high tech setup and I love it. Folks still do go to jail though, ha.
A big part of living a "successful" life is making good decisions and knowing when to choose what our future will be. We feel like this opportunity was the right thing for us at the right time. We hope it enhances our future life of traveling
So, that's what Teri and I have been up to. Teri flies to Portland Saturday for 2 weeks. Her father is having some surgery Monday and needs Teri there.
Hang with us, we are still GMC Motorhomers and plan many more adventures. Our employment is temporary. Won't be long til I am soacking up that Arizona winter sun again.
Dan

1 Comments:

At November 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM , Blogger carl s said...

We'll miss seeing you out here this year.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home