Saturday, April 26, 2008

Wow, Did You See the End of Today's Race?

This is a very pretty state. Sometimes I wonder why my grandfather left here. I guess the cotton was whiter in Southeast Mo, after they drained all the swamps. Nice state to visit. This place has alligators that have moved all the way up to the Florence area.


Matt and I took a drive over to the track this afternoon. We waited til the Busch Race had already started wo we would stay out of traffic. Hung around there for an hour and came back to the motel and saw the last 20 laps on ABC. That was a nailbiting few seconds there at the last. I thought Jr was going to take Stewart. Just was not to be. I know a lot of fans over at the track were sad. 88 signs everywhere over there.

Look at these photos. I have never in my life seen such a sight. I bet these folks have been here for a week, at least. There are rvs and tents everywhere. What a sight. Gives you a funny feeling to come into this. I know tomorrow will be something. I just hope we can get out of there alive. We should have some great photos.
















Miles and miles and acres and acres. I mean, this was a sight to behold. No telling how much money this race weekend brings into the area. Matt and I could hear the noise when the cars rounded the north end of the track where we were mostly. I am glad we ran over so we have some idea of what to expect in the morning. We will leave here very early trying to beat some of the traffic. It is about 60 miles east of us on I-20. The blimp was leaving as we pulled up to the place. The big wreck happened while we were outside and we could see the big plume of dust. Redneck City does not come close to describing the sites we saw. I bet folks come here to rv and never go inside the track. This has got to be one of the best fan supported races of all. Matt was at the Texas race 2 weeks ago and he said the outside of the track looked nothing like this. What a sight.



















Folks selling everything, everywhere. Tickets for sale were all along the side of the road. I suppose they buy large lots and pedal them for higher prices this weekend, I don't know. We saw some wierd looking folks. Tatoos, long beards, long hair on men, short pants on girls with barely tops. Hmmm.


And look at this. Our good friend, Rob Allen, got this shot this morning at his house in Idaho. The turkey was warming up to his GMC coach. I told him it looks like a banny rooster in disguise.




















I really appreciate you dropping by today. Try to come back late Sunday evening. I suspect it will be late when we get back to the motel, but if I feel like it, I will share our day with you.
Oh, almost forgot. When Matt and I walked into the front door of the motel a guy asked us how to get to the track. I said, "do we look like two guys who might know anything about Nascar?".
Oh boy, I thought I looked better than a typical race fan that could be spotted from 100 feet away. Kinda hurt me.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home