Saturday, February 14, 2009

Follow Us As We Travel, In The GMC

I have been working on a tracking device that we will install in the GMC. I have it finished and it is working. It is a ham radio device and I must be licensed to use it. But, anyone can follow along. Here is the website:
http://www.aprs.fi/
When you click up the site there is a map. In the top right hand corner it wants to know who you would like to track. My call goes there. It is, WD0AFQ. That is a zero, not an oh. It will then take you to the area where we last reported. This is like your gps setup except it shows us instead of you. Really a neat deal. You can track any ham radio operator by typing in their call sign, if they have the tracking unit. I have a gps attached to the unit so it gives accurate information. Speed and altitude is included so if I am speeding, you will know it. shhhhh. I rarely speed in the GMC though. To get this information you just click on our car and a box will show up. Click it off if you don't want it on the map, the box. I will build a couple more of these when we get home. One will go in the VW and one will go in Teri's car. She can look to see where in town I might be anytime she wants.
If you click on tonight, you can see that we took a little trip. That was in the car without an antenna so it did not report every place we traveled. I have an antenna on the GMC and it works much better. Sunday we will travel over the mountain into Safford for church and to visit friends. It should show us pretty good. Thursday we leave in the motorhome so you can see us then. There is a box above the call sign tracking that will allow you to put in up to 24 hours back. That way you can see everywhere we went all day. There is a very good satellite view too. I use it a lot. You can choose that at the top of the page. Also, you can watch all of the hams in the area as they travel. There is a good zoom in and out feature.
I realize that this will not interest a lot of folks but I think it is neat. Satellite internet users have a map similar to this but they are stationary. We can report while rolling down the hiway.
We plan to do some work with our daughter's class when we leave here in a month or so heading east. They can watch us on the computer and direct us to places they would like pictures of. We will shoot the pics and email them right to the class as live as possible. I am going to enjoy that.
So, give it a try. If you have any problems just give me a call. My email is gregg_dan at hotmail.com.
Hope everyone has a great Sunday. Ride with us over the mountain Sunday if you want. Will be fun.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home