Saturday, April 25, 2009

VW Baja

Ok, here is what I did today. My old beater is getting neater. Long way to go but I am working on it. My brother is working on my new doors. Got to get the upper hinge pins pushed out so I can get my mirror pins in there before we mount the doors. Look to the lower left. That is one of the new valve covers that went on today. Aluminum and finned. Should do a little to help keep things cool back there. Also, they look good.


Here you can see a bit of both of them. I have 1000 miles on the engine build now so it was time to check the valve clearance. They were all tight. I set them to .006 clearance. That should do for 3,000 miles, then I will re check them. I could not take pictures of the actual work as I was home alone and the camera was with Teri.
Next project, besides the doors, is to re index the rear torsion bars so the car will have a little more lift in the rear. I do not want to drag the low sump oil pan off on something. Need to cover that with some kind of skid plate.
We plan to tow the bug on the upcoming trip. We rarely drive far from the coach on short trips so this should work fine. It is about half the weight of the Vibe and the GMC never knows it is back there. You can see the new permanant tow lights that my brother and I fixed up on the rear bumper. Now all I have to do is hook up the car and plug the lights in. Well, I do have a tow brake that I use but that takes 2 minutes, tops, to set.
Teri and I took the bug over to one of our daughters' place this afternoon. Of course all 3 grandkids wanted to ride in the bug. So, grandpa made 2 trips to make sure all three got a ride. No back seat so I can strap 2 in the passenger seat at once. We always have fun with the kids in the bug.
That's it from Dexter, Mo. this afternoon. Mid 80's here today with wind and it felt great. Teri just went out to finish up some yard work so I better get out there and watch her, ha.
Dan

2 Comments:

At April 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM , Blogger Wally and Sue said...

Getting some bling on the bug, looking good.

 
At April 27, 2009 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Dan & Teri Gregg said...

Yea, I also have a sun visor over the windshield now. I like it and kinda wish I had one on the GMC. Picked it up from a guy in Oklahoma. Its blue so it really sticks out.
Dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home