Saturday, May 16, 2009

Riding Across Western Kentucky in a GMC Motorhome

Check this out. Jim was "helping" us hook up. It was sprinkling rain as we got ready to depart. Jim and Jr. are heading over to Land Between The Lakes to look at a coach. They ride along in front of us for half of our trip home. I just could not put full faith in them knowing where we were going. Seems they had a gps unit in the truck that did not agree with my internal gps. Oh well, we made it anyway. I wanted to head west in the straightest path available to Paducah so we traveled through Hopkinsville. And, I mean THROUGH it. You will see in a few pictures down. I will say that Kentucky sure has some nice 4 lane roads. Wish Missouri had half of what they have. Here is one for ya.
And off he goes.


Not quite as much horsepower as the old Chevy truck but making time just the same. Lots of these running the roads over in Kentucky.




This is neat. I want to stop and visit this next time we are in the area.



Got any idea what it is? Has to do with the Civil War. It is tall and east of Hopkinsville a few miles.





Ok, here we are, downtown Hopkinsville. This is an old town and it is worthy of further exploration by us. Look at the train depot.





Seems there was a detour. Working on a street, the main one.








So, downtown we went. See Jim's truck? Well, you would think he was leading us, not so. He was watching my blinkers in his rear view mirror so he did not get lost. What a ride. I am glad we traveled through town. See, you can do that in a GMC.






We all stopped near Calvert City for a side trip. I left my camera in the coach. We ran down south about 6 miles in Jim's truck to look at an old GMC coach. I sure wish I had a barn to store the thing. The price was right.
We say our goodbyes and part ways. I hope Jim and Jr. found their way home. They were talking about a "shortcut". I was thinking, how in the world can you "shortcut" a straight shot? Oh well, I am sure they were home before dark.
We head north over the Ohio River at Paducah/Metropolis. Look how wet it is here. The Ohio is all out of its banks. I guess it has been raining.






















We take a little two lane road that rides along the Ohio. Nice scenic drive. Cuts over to I-57 and comes out north of Cairo at exit 8. 20 miles farther but we don't lose a mirror on an old narrow bridge.
This is the Mississippi. Guess it rained here too.











Rolling into Missouri. Home again. We live 45 miles west of this bridge which is located at Cairo, Illinois.











You can see the river is out here too, look behind the Missouri sign.



Had a great trip. Visited with some great folks. Ate way too much food. Saw some awesome sights. 2 dollar gas, what else could we ask for?
Sure was fun visiting with Marlys and Jim. They know all of the "good spots" around Bowling Green and Glasgow. I think Jim might want to take a map when he leaves that area though, or let Marlys navigate. Just kidding. Come see us.
Dan












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home