Thursday, December 31, 2009

GMC Motorhome Brake Update

I mentioned that we developed a problem with the brakes on the motorhome. Somewhere in south Arkansas they just kinda faded away. Friday night, when we pulled into the truckstop for the evening, I could barely stop the coach at a stop sign. Next morning it was no better. We drove through Dallas and I thought little about it. When we got to Sweetwater and Roscoe I knew I had a problem. While parked there I tinkered around a bit but did not fix it. Was a bit concerned coming through El Paso so I stayed way back from vehicles in front of me. The brakes were so bad that the brake in the car would not come on. So, I am trying to stop two vehicles with barely any brakes.
Wednesday I got on the GMC motorhome net with my problem. I am sure that we have at least 40 guys trying to diagnose our problem. This morning I did order a new booster, knowing that it probably won't fix our problem. It is leaking down so it must be replaced anyway. I can do that anytime, no big deal.
Now the good part. Today Teri and I get two calls. One is from our good friend Bob de Kruyff over in the Phoenix area, 200 miles away. He is a retired GM guy and knows all about the GMC motorhome. I have received good information from Bob on many problems over the years. I ask him lots of stuff and he is always good to help me out. He is bringing tools and I know he will diagnose our problem and hopefully we can fix it while he is here. Second call is from Jeff Willard. Jeff lives 50 miles or so away over toward Silver City, NM. Jeff says he has a big shop with lots of tools, come on over. When I tell him Bob is coming Saturday Jeff says he will drive over also to give us a hand. Life is good.
So, I am feeling a lot better. There is no way we can get over the mountain at Globe/Superior with brakes like we have. That would prevent us from making Quartzsite. I know I can get it back to Mo. like this as there are no mountains but we have planned for Quartzsite for a long time and would hate to miss it.
In addition to Bob and Jeff, our good friend Ken Burton has been on the phone with us every evening helping me figure things out. Ken is always ready to help us.
What friends. There is no other motorhome owners group like our's. We have the largest group in the FMCA and these coaches have not been built since 1978.
So, now you know pretty much what I know. Will update yall Saturday after we get it all figured out. Hope everyone enjoys the New Year coming in tonight. Teri and I are going to friends' for a little while, then will return to the coach to celebrate the approaching hour.
Catch yall next year,
Dan

4 Comments:

At December 31, 2009 at 3:26 PM , Blogger Clyde Jacques said...

Dan & Teri, Hope you guys have a great New Years. Try not to stay up too late, you have work to do on the coach so you need to get your rest.

Hope you get the brakes repaired and back on your way.

Travel Safe, we miss you guys, but know you are doing what you love.

Clyde & Judy

 
At January 1, 2010 at 1:13 AM , Blogger newyorker said...

You have some real talent heading your way. There is no question that your problem will be resolved this weekend.
Happy New Year

 
At January 1, 2010 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Whatsnewell said...

Hey Dan....it is great to have a good support group for your GMC. As Newell Classic owners we are grateful every day for the support group we have on NewellClassic.com...guys who will give you the shirt off their collective backs to help other owners solve problems related to their Newells.

 
At January 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Dan & Teri Gregg said...

It is nice to have such a large support group while out on the road. I would hate to run to a mechanic everytime some little problem popped up. While I can tend to most things on the coach I know little about the brakes. I am getting my education now and maybe one day I can help someone with same problem.
Nice blog too, I bookmarked it. Will learn a little about Newells now.

Dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home