Saturday, March 27, 2010

GMC Motorhome People

While I was born in Detroit, Mi, I spent most of my life in Missouri. A little time was lived in Mississippi while I was in the Air Force, and a couple of years in Northern Missouri. All of the rest of my 55 years was spent in Southeast Missouri, from the Mississippi River Delta area over into the eastern edge of the Ozark Mountains. Pretty much, I stayed where I was raised. We took the kids to Florida a couple of times and South Carolina once. Really, I had been nowhere outside of my raising for any period of time. When I met Teri I did venture west to Arizona for the first time in my adult life. That was a real trip. Teri came on back to Mo. with me and I continued to live right near where I was raised, on a small cotton farm.
When we bought our GMC it was not supposed to be a permanant rv for us. Was just a "starter" to see if we liked rv ing. We not only liked motorhoming we loved the GMC so much that we spent our money rebuilding it so we could travel the USA in it when I retired.
I have been a ham radio operator since I was a young guy. Was always making frineds in various parts of the USA but I rarely got to meet them in person. Over the years the friendships kinda faded away. Many of my radio friends passed on before I could meet them in person.
Our GMC has carried us all over the USA meeting and making friends with other GMC folks and a few others. It has taken us from north to south and to every state west of the Mississippi River, including the Northwest twice Been to California in the coach 3 times now since 07. When I see the marijuanna stories about Mendencino County, I have been there. Most all of the southeastern states too. We have seen places that I have only read about or seen on tv. Places where I had talked to folks long ago on ham radio. I watch the history channel a good bit. When they talk civil war I have been to many of the places mentioned,. Much of the war was fought close to where I was raised. Mo. being a border state there were lots of battles all around us. Teri and I travel up and down the Mississippi River everytime we come see my brother and his family here in La. As we go home this trip we plan to take the back roads, geocaching, so we can see where much history was made.
All of the places do not hold a candle to the people that the GMC has introduced us to. We now have personal friends in every corner of the USA. Our freinds are now scattered across 49 states. I don't think we have made any GMC friends in Hawaii yet. Teri and I have been invited to visit folks everywhere and we have invited them to our house in Mo. There is a high level of trust among our friends. I would not hesitate to let our GMC friends use our home even when we are away. My neighbor has a key and all I need to do is call him and he will open our home. Teri does not know it but I must have invited 20 families to our home this fall on their way to the convention in Il. If they all show up I may be in trouble, ha. I think I can get 5 or 6 parked in the driveway and front yard.
Bottom line here, Teri and I have been so blessed with friends since our retirement. We have been taken into the GMC family with open arms. Folks treat us like their own family. What a group. Should you be thinking about an rv, give the GMC a thought. We have the largest support group of any motorhome. We did not buy the motorhome for weekend outings but to travel the USA, and that is what we are doing. This coach makes a perfect home away from home for couples who are best friends. The other owners will always be there to help you in time of need. We can attest to that from our recent problems with the engine.
No pictures today. Did not think you would care about me changing the oil in the coach. We will have pictures coming shortly. Having a birthday party for the 4 twins tomorrow after church. Will also be taking them geocaching while we are here. Great sport for you and old alike.
The weekend is half over. I have been staying off the roads to make room for you working folks. Hope everyone is enjoying the time off.
Catch you later. Thanks for checking on us.
Dan, in Monroe, La.

1 Comments:

At March 28, 2010 at 7:42 PM , Blogger carl s said...

Hey Dan,

We are proud count you as friends of ours and honored to be your friends. I agree about the GMC Community and hope to be in a position, soon, to travel and meet more of them too. Meanwhile, we will continue to enjoy following your exploits on the blog.

Thanks for sharing your lives with us.

Carl & Kathy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home