Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Cotton Patch


Have you ever been driving along in an air conditioned tractor and heard something that did not sound just right? Then when you turn around to see what it is, get a real sick feeling deep down in your stomach? Oh yea, it happened to me this morning at 8 am. I was just minding my own buisness when my 14 row disc got into a 4020 tactor wheel, then hit the cotton module builder. Popped the outside blade of my disc and really put a hairlip on the tractor rear wheel, but it did not flatten the tire. We beat the rim back out. Oh boy, I was sick all morning about that but my cousin just counts it as part of buisness. Never got mad or anything. I got back on the tractor and kept going for another 2 hours.
The first year, very first day, I lost a trailer from behind my pickup and did not even know it. The trailer was our diesel fuel. I got to the field and no trailer. Oh boy was I scared. My cousin and I drove 10 miles back to where I started, no traler. Headed back to find it slammed into a rental storage shed. I was really sick then as I had caused property damage. My cousin was just glad we found it and it was not spilled. He told me not to worry about it as he had insurance. Wow. His brother had hooked the trailer to my truck but did not get the latch locked, and failed to hook the safety chains. I came over a railroad track and the sucker popped right off.
Thought I would share a few photos of what we are doing. Cotton is ggod this year and a month early. It has been really hot this week but we are making it. Teri is also working with us and we are still short handed. Had two migrant workers that failed to show back up today. Do not know what happened to them. I am sure they will show up sooner or later as they were not paid.
I had a post on here from Monday but I could not find it tonight. Not sure if it got deleted or is just hiding somewhere. This blog site is not cooperating well with me lately.
Well, this blogger is very tired. Better get some rest so we can hit it again in the morning. I need to mow our yard before we hit the field. Wish me luck. Heading out in our motorhome sometime this weekend, just not sure when.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home