Friday, December 31, 2010

Arizona Winter in a GMC Motorhome

Hey, not only do I get harrassed by my friends back home, the folks here are after me now. We have a general delivery address here in Duncan. I go to the post office this morning and the lady handing me my mail is laughing at me for coming here for the winter. That is fine, it will be 70 degrees here again Monday. It was a bit depressing yesterday though. I was stuck inside the motorhome most all day. I don't like that. It was 18 degrees when Teri got up this morning. Was 34 when I got up. I am sure it hit the middle teens as the furnace was kicking on a good bit. I finally turned it off. We don't need it running except to make sure our water in here does not freeze. We have been here when it got down to 12 two mornings in a row. Now, that was nippy. You must realize that we are at 3600 feet. Sometimes it gets cold and snows here but normally it is gone by lunch time. We are getting nothing compared to the Flagstaff area.
Duncan is in the Southeast corner of the state. Take a look on the tracker or on a map. We are 140 air miles east and north of Tucson. 150 air miles east of Phoenix and about the same west of El Paso. This is where they film the tv show, Border Wars.
The fighter jet is in the park up above Duncan, home of retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Conner.

Here is a shot of the mountain behind us in New Mexico.

You can see where the snow is. Those peaks are above 4,000 ft.

Another shot over in New Mexico.

Same

Now, here is the mountain we must climb when we go to Safford. Safford is where Walmart is. 40 miles West of us. Do you know why the towns out here are 40 miles apart? Let me know if you know.

Look close. There is a poor old stripped Volkswagen there. I feel for it everytime I pass by. Makes me think of mine back in Mo.

The snow clouds still hanging around.

A view out our back door.

Same thing, different mountain over in New Mexico.
Duncan is right on Highway 70, at the NM./ Az. line. It is a nice little town and we enjoy coming here. Everyone knows when we roll into town for the season. I have made many friends here and always look forward to spending time with them. Tonight we will go over to some friends' home near Virden, NM. I don't plan to stay until midnight but we will visit for a few hours. They have us and several others over every New Year's Eve.
This could be my last post this year. Thanks so much for riding with us in 2010. We always enjoy your company. Will be looking forward to a prosporous 2011 with you as our friends.
Happy New Year from Dan and Teri Gregg

2 Comments:

At January 1, 2011 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Wayne and Lisa said...

40 miles is how far the trains could go before stopping for water

 
At January 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Wayne and Lisa said...

40 miles is how far the trains could go before stopping for water.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home