Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Joys of Owning a GMC Motorhome

Oh yea, once again. Got up and ready to hit the laundramat, no battery. I forgot to turn the tracker off and it ran the battery down again. I wish I had not forgotten my jumper cables. It takes about 20 minutes for the Kipor to get enough charge in this battery to fire off the car, at 8 amps. There has to be some kind of reliable voltage sniffer out there. Walmart ones are no good. I have one that a good friend built for us that is on our furnace. It will turn furnace off when the battery voltage hits about 12.1. I may have to take if off and install in the car. This is happening way too often.

I told Teri I thought we had a water leak. Well, we did. It seems the water pump is leaking around the gasket everytime we use it. Our water use has been up since back in the summer and I knew it. I also could see there was water leaking from somewhere under the coach. Just glad it was not the freshwater tank. We raised the bed this morning and here is what I found. You can see the calcium deposits all over the outside of the pump.

You see that red stuff on the paper towel? Give you one guess what it is. You are right. I broke the screwdriver head and stabbed the back of my hand really deep. Won't be taking this thing apart until we get home.
This pump has been on my list to replace for a long time. It is noisy. I have done everything there is to quieten it down but nothing helped. We plan to leave here Monday so I had to pay a steep over night fee to get the new one here Friday. Let's see if it arrives on time. I ordered a quiet pump so I don't wake Teri up at night when I use the water. the pump is right under the head of our bed.

Here is our new master cylendar for the brakes. As you will recall, I lost the braking power on our way here again this year. Two years in a row I have had to replace this puppy. This one is a larger unit shipped to me from Jim at Applied GMC. We plan to add disc brakes to the rear in February so we have the M/C that will be used.
Boy, it is great to be mechanically inclined when you own a motorhome. At least on the GMC everything is straight forward so any dummy like me can work on it. Our friend Jeff is coming down from Silver City to help me bleed everything in the morning. I think he just wants some of Teri's cooking, he is a bachelor. That is fine with me, I just want brakes before we descind the Globe/Superior mtn. on Monday.
Hope everyone is having a great week. Tomorrow is Friday again.
Dan

1 Comments:

At January 6, 2011 at 7:07 PM , Blogger carl s said...

Good lookin' M/C. I hope it does the trick on your brakes.

You're right, you do have to be mechanically inclined to own and use an old GMC motorhome. Either that or you have to be prepared to spend some serious money to fix all the little things that tend to go wrong.

If you're not using it to go awesome places, there are plenty of "improvements" you can keep busy doing. It's all part of the fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home