Saturday, June 4, 2011

Vdubs in Effingham

Effingham is the place for Volkswagens this weekend. This is the largest gathering of vdubs anywhere around this area. There are hundreds.The number quoted last year was 800. Not sure about the number this year but it is a large gathering. Lots of bus people camping out here. Lots of tents. There are 12 or so motorhomes and a few truck campers. Our friends from Minnesota are in a truck camper instead of their GMC.

One slick looking extended pickup and trailer. Its a daily driver like my baja. I like to look at daily drivers. Do not care for "trailer queens".

Let me say this, some of these vehicles were never in the kind of shape that they are now, not even when new.

Every  model is here, bar none.

Lots and lots of buggies. The inventor of the Manx is here.


This plane belongs to my new found friend. Keith lives west of Bernie. I have passed his home many times.

Yes, this is half of a VW engine using two Honda 50 carbs. Several were built in Piggott, Ar. back in the late 80's.




Yep, its a Buggati. I crawled under the back of it to find the VW engine.



One smoooothed body.


Several kit cars.

We were visited by two ultra lites. They flew in and landed right in front of Colsyn and me.

A 65 bug with fiberglass fenders. It is going to the highest bidder today. Its from the Paducah area and is tagged. When I last looked 1000 bux was the high bid. Worth more as the original fenders also go with it. Last year for the link frontend and first year for the large windows.

One of the Herbies from the latest movie. Belongs to owner of the store here.
So, there you have it. Has gotten hot. We came in and cut the air on so Colsyn could take a shower. We are enjoying the cool coach now. Hitting the road for home tomorrow. I have lots more pictures that I may post later.
Dan

1 Comments:

At June 5, 2011 at 7:32 PM , Blogger carl s said...

Looks like a cool gathering. Whenever I see your pics from these events, I start missing the old '60 VW Bus I used to drive to high school in PA. That was one gutless ride!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home