Friday, November 11, 2011

Geocaching on Veterans Day, 11-11-11

My tools. Many folks use a cell phone but this is what I like.


First, let me say thank you for those who have served our country and for the folks that continue to volunteer. One never knows when he/she will be called to the battlefield. I was fortunate, never had to fight a real battle while I was in the Air Force. Our family has a long list of veterans. We have a grandfather buried in the Civil War Cemetary down in Columbus, Ms. He was killed while fighting in the war between the states. His son was also in the same war and wounded for life. My dad was a Korean War Veteran. My younger brother and my son also served our country. I hope everyone realizes that at any time one of our soldiers can be called upon to give their life for our freedom. I feel that because of our veterans I am free to choose what I do each day. Today, well it was geocaching.
The little park, above, was my first treasure for the day. It is located in Gideon, just down the street from where my grandparents used to live. I played in this area as a small child. My parents met here while my mother was a PE teacher at the Gideon High School.

My second one in Gideon. This is out by the airport where my dad and I used to fly RC planes. I looked at that tree then looked at my gps. The thing was telling me the cache was in there. Oh, how I hated that.

Blow this picture up and you will see the treasure I was hunting. Also, take a look at the tracker, WD0AFQ-1 to see my 100 mile run today. There is a link at the top of this page.

New Madrid, Mo. is where I found this one. One of the oldest towns in Mo. and known world wide for the name of the big fault there. Glad there was no earth slippage today while I was in town.

The cemetary where I found the above cache. Someone takes good care of this little grave yard.

Look how old these graves are. These kids lived and died before the Civil War.

I was trying to show a picture of the truck ahead of me and the gauges. I was "drafting" a little. Check out the mpg and the speed. Don't try this.

From New Madrid to Sikeston, home of Lambert's Throwed Rolls. I liked this one. The cache is inside this lizzard.

Found this one in a bush at another cemetary, in Sikeston.

Pretty slick. I may hide one like this.

The log inside this flashlight was wet. Had to grab it from that hole, nearly a foot down in there. If it had been summer, I might not have stuck my hand in there.

My last find for the day, number 9.

Its in the corner, under the long grass. I had one that got away from me. It was in a tree and colored to match the evergreen leaves. I just could not find the thing. Needed Teri to help me. 9 out of 10 ain't bad for being by myself.
Was very windy in SEMO today but the temperature was 65, not too bad. Stopped at clothing store to buy a couple of pair of new jeans. They had a sale, got 3 pair for the price of two. Today was my day.
Teri's dad continues to improve. She is scheduled to fly home on the 20th. I am praying that she does come home that day. I am not liking being a loner.
Today, life is good, because of our Armed Forces. Thanks.
Dan

1 Comments:

At November 11, 2011 at 3:57 PM , Blogger carl s said...

Sounds like you had a good Veteran's Day. Thanks for serving our country!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home