Saturday, August 9, 2008

Pig n Ford Race

Now here is a nice car. I spotted it this morning on my way to find a few things for the refrigerator. Its for sale too.


When I got back to the coast my part for the generator had arrived. Kipor was very friendly to me. They told me how to check the invertor and when I told them what I found they agreed to ship me a new board, Here is the old one. Took all of ten minutes to swap it out. Would have been 5 but I had a part left over and had to break the case open again. I will buy Kipor again. This was not under warranty but Darleen took me under her wing and replaced it for me. How can I ever buy from another company? As you can see, Sam was a big help.

I ran into this 8n Ford at the fair tonight. I was taught to drive one of these at age 7. I hated that thing but this sure brings back memories.

Can you believe this? I have never forgot who my pet is, have you?



Click this one up to full size. You will see they put the restrooms in the right place.





I think when I was about 10 years old I might have enjoyed something like this. I saw grown men here playing the "no win" game.





People pay to lose their lunch. I was not getting too close to this thing. Did not know what might come flying out into the crowd.









Here is another one. No stinkin way they would get my money. I can get sick on my own.







This pretty much wraps it up, in my thinking, of the midway.











Ok, now we get to the serious stuff. They were betting on these ponies. Kinda boring but I did watch a couple races as it was the same track as the Pigs were going to be on. Had to get a seat early. I was under a large canopy covering the grand stands.








Click this picture up and see the rainbow. Why I made sure to get here early. I did not want to get wet.











The final horse race. None too early in my book. I quit racing my horse when I discovered go carts.











Now, here is why I came to the Tillamook County Fair. This is one funny race. These are Model T Fords. there were 10 of them tonite. 2 heats and the championship. They also raced Thursday and Friday night. Those winners were here tonight for the grand finale.














These guys are putting the pig pens together.















Ok, the little 30 pound pigs arrived in this trailer. A couple of them got loose as they were moving them to the pens. The pigs were celebrities tonight.















Alright, here is my last shot. The camera bit the dust and I got a girl next to me take this on my card. She was a nice high school girl and I was glad she was sitting behind me.
These men stand over next to the fence. When the pistol shot is heard they race over to the pig pens, grab a pig, and run back to the front of their car, Model T. Now, they have to hand crank the car while holding the pig. 6 cars at a time race. Once the car starts they jump in and race around the half mile track, all the while, holding the pig. They slide back up to the pig pen, kill the car, jump out and put the pig in pen. Then they grab another one, hand crank the car, and try to jump in and take off without getting run over by another car. One guy got his foot run over and another slid his car right into another guy's parked car. Take off again around the track. 3 times they do this. First guy finished, and getting his 3rd pig back in the pen, wins the race. All the time this is going on the laughter is crazy wild in the stands but the racers are very serious. This has been going on for 82 years now. The grandstand was built the first year they did this. After last year's race it was condemned and they built a new one, very nice, this year.
So, there you have it. Tillamook is famous not only for their ice cream but also for the Pig n Ford racing. You must see this sometime if you ever get here during this week of August. My 2nd year in a row. Was not as much fun without Teri but I did call her so she could hear part of the race. What a show. 9 bux to get into the fair. Pricy but the race was worth that just to laugh my head off. You can learn all about the race by looking up Pig n Ford Race on the internet.
So, does anyone have a cheap digital camera to sell? No more pictures til I come up with one. there are no discount stores in Tillamook County, Oregon so I doubt I will be getting one anytime soon.
I really appreciate yall coming to the fair with me. It was a great evening.
Dan













2 Comments:

At August 14, 2008 at 1:47 PM , Blogger The Handier Man said...

What kind of problem did you have with the Kipor? And who did you call? Mine is not working right now, Les

 
At August 14, 2008 at 4:08 PM , Blogger Dan & Teri Gregg said...

Was the inverter. It quit. Works great now.
Dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home