Saturday, May 16, 2009

VW Door Hinge Pin Pusher

Here are some pictures of my home made hinge pin getter outer. I have been soaking these pins in PB Blaster since before xmas. Could not knock them out. One of the guys on the Samba Net, VW, described a tool similar to this one that he made. Well, what did I have to lose? Grabbed an 8 dollar 5 inch C clamp. Ground off the back side on the flat end. Drilled a 1/4 inch hole through it. Went to the farm store and picked up an 1 1/2 inch bolt, 1/4. One large nut to take up slack and 2 1/4 inch nuts. Left just enough of the bolt sticking out to enter the hinge and put pressure on it as I cranked it. It slowly pushed the pin out. I had to take one nut off to make it long enough after it started going. The hole.

Back side where I ground it flat and drilled through it.
So, there you have it. Now I can get the doors rehabbed and put on the bug. No more rattling windows. Thanks bajadave66 for the great idea. Don't buy a clamp made in China, get a good one.
Dan


2 Comments:

At May 20, 2011 at 6:02 AM , Blogger Wolfy said...

Do you have a picture of your tool hooked up to a hinge/pin? I'm having a hard time envisioning how it works. Thanks!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Dan & Teri Gregg said...

No I don't. It clamps down on the hinge pin and pusuhes it out. Worked great on the driver's side.
Dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home