Monday, September 14, 2009

To Florida and Back

I had one great time this weekend. One of my best friends ask me to help him drive to Palatka, Fl. and back. He had some buisness to take care of on his winter home and wanted to pick up his 27 foot enclosed trailer. The trailer was needed back here in Mo. so he can load up a few things to carry back down in Oct. Jim wanted to make a fast trip so we did. Left Dexter Friday at 4 am in his 1 ton GMC Duramax. We arrived in Palatka about 5 30 pm, 850 miles later. Was a great ride. We left last night, after church, heading on back to Mo. Was 8 pm and we arrived back in Dexter at 9 am. Great ride home but the 8 hour nap was even better, after I got home. Here are a few pictures I shot this weekend.
This 1931 Ford belongs to a friend of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Its owner purchased it 38 years ago from the original owner. It is slick with original interior. It was interesting visiting with the car's owner. He purchased one of my friend's previous homes in Florida. Jim took me by to see the place and the oner was outside so we stopped for a visit. This little fella was siting on Jim's canal bank trying to catch a mess of fish Saturday morning. Jim's present house sits on this man made canal. Pretty slick. These canals were dug in the 60s. Folks built houses on them and use the canals to get out to St John's River.
An orange tree in Jim's back yard.

A shot of the canal.



Folks heading out to the river in their boat Saturday morning.




I cut this green orange open and ate part of it. Pretty good.






Oh yea, this is a 90 year old gator. 5 bux a pound. I was fortunate enough to meet the guy that killed this one. Serious buisness down there. I had hoped to catch a small gator on the canal to get a picture of but never saw one. This one took 2 guys 16 hours to clean. I got the full story on it.






Had to get this picture to prove to Teri I was here twice Sunday, just kidding. These folks are very friendly. Hope to take Teri down to meet the Christians that gather in this building.

That is pretty much it. Was a fast trip but action packed. Went looking for a used pontoon boat trailer Saturday and ended up buying a new boat and trailer. Quite an adventure. It was very humid in Florida this weekend. Just a very few minutes outside and our clothes were soaked. The air conditioning felt great. Met a lot of very nice folks. The people made the trip. My friend, Jim, is one nice guy. I am glad that he asked me to run down with him. After being up for about 27 hours the old bed felt so good this morning.
We have been doing a lot of work on the GMC getting it ready for the trip to Colorado next week. I am very anxious to jump in and pull out of here next week. Stay with us and come along for the ride. Should be a great trip.
Dan







2 Comments:

At September 17, 2009 at 11:54 AM , Blogger RICK said...

What do you mean about to leave town.

Its cotton pickin time around here.

I am sure a tote sack can be found for both of you.

Rick.

 
At September 17, 2009 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Dan & Teri Gregg said...

Oh yea. I just got back from talking with my cousin, Reed. Cotton is late. We will be back just in time for me to work. I am looking forward to it.
Dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home