Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Toad Towing A Toad

These two folks, Larry and Karen, are the ones responsible for making sure our bug was painted. They own Topeka Graphics, an rv painting shop. They paint new trailers and 5th wheels and motor homes for owners that want a new look. They have painted over 200 GMC coaches and know how to do it. I have seen many of the coaches. That was why I had confidence in their work. Two great folks. We will see them again. Larry wants pictures of the Mustang so he can give me a quote. Who knows, maybe we will take it up for paint. Not in winter though. Learned our lesson on this time of year. Thanks Larry and Karen. Lots of these in Topeka and all around the area.


We left Topeka Graphics yesterday and almost got to our daughter's before the sleet started. Really messed up the new looking VW. Below, a shot of the wind turbines we passed while were trying to get out of the blinding snow. Headed south before we made the Illinois line.




This picture does not do justice to what we were in. For a while I could not see 50 yards in front of us. The wind was 50 mph. I could barely make 50 mph towing the bug with the Vibe.
We stayed south until Terre Haute. I was prepared to keep south til Evansville but we looked to be out of the worst stuff so jumped on I-70. Wind kept us running about 50 mph all the way to Effingham. It was rough. At Effingham we headed south on I-57 and I could drive whatever speed I wanted.




We were really nasty but I did not care what the cars looked like, I just wanted to get home. There is "something" about being on the west side of the Old Mighty Mississippi. I was doing my best to get there. This stop was near Marion. One fella nearly broke his neck trying to decide whether or not we were hooked together. I had to laugh. We had no cb radio but I could hear those truckers in my head as we pulled past them at 70 mph plus. "Did you see that? What was it? Were they tied together?" I laughed in my mind. This Vibe GT has plenty of power to tow the vdub. As long as the wind is not 50 mph blowing right into its grille, anyway. We did tow it from Az. to Mo. last year, 1400 miles.




Home at last. Whew, it sure felt good to get home and wash all the road grime off the cars. I think the newly painted VW will look great behind the GMC. We may put some striping on the doors of the VW to kinda break it up a little.




The colors on the bug are the same as the GMC and the Vibe. Teri and I are very happy with the way this paint job turned out. Makes the bug look a little more classy. As soon as the weather warms up a little I will get the new headlight rings and headers on. Too cold today. Nearly got frost bite washing and then drying these cars. We pulled in a little before 3 pm. We left our daughter's around 730 am. Not bad timing for 400 miles, considering what we traveled through. I am glad we had the internet so Teri could keep an eye on the weather. We could see that the storm was blowing south to Terre Haute and then sweeping north. It worked for us.




The tracker was running the whole trip, WD0AFQ-1. We are glad that some of you rode along. If you want to see our path, go to the website and click on "2 days".
Thanks for those who said prayers, they worked.
Let me know what you think. I got several emails last night and a couple of "comments".
Time for church, see you in a day or two.
Dan






1 Comments:

At December 10, 2009 at 7:05 AM , Blogger carl s said...

Happy to see you made it home.I was concerned you might get stranded up North somewhere. That weather looked nasty!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home