Saturday, November 21, 2009

GMC Motorhome Batteries

Oh, I had to share this one with you. 3 year old Rylan. I took this shot after grandpa wore him out riding around town in the motorhome. We play hard. Some of the GMC coaches came with a seperate starting battery for the generator, such is the case with our's. I always thought a small lawnmower battery should do the trick and save us a lot of room. Today I tried it out.
It worked so out came the large battery and in went the lawnmower battery. Cold cranking amps is stated as 330. I cranked the Onan several times. It never grunted.

Saved us some valuable space. I will now have room to put other stuff in this hole.


Here is a shot of three of the batteries removed from the coach. Will remove the fourth Monday and head to Sam's Club, in Cape, for 4 new 6 volts. Above.
Below, inside the coach's electrical room I added a combiner. When the large battery was in the Onan compartment I did not worry about drawing some current from it. It was tied to the house batteries so it would charge. Our Onan charger is unhooked and uses the on board converter for that. Well, this combiner will allow the lawnmower battery to be connected any time there is a charge coming in. Does not matter if it is from the on board converter or the solar. When no charge is coming in, the combiner relay flips and they are no longer connected. We have one of these between our house batteries and the engine battery also. I like this setup.



It was such a beautiful day here today. I had to finish up what I could on the GMC. Basically, we are ready to roll. We will clean the inside and stick the batteries in and be ready. I like having everything ready in advance. I seem to get frustrated more when I am under the gun. This Fall I have had plenty of time and having my list has really helped. I like to think that the coach is in as good a shape as it has ever been. Now, it should all be just preventative stuff while out for the winter.
Only one more day and we can get back out on the roads. For you working folks, enjoy. We will take over again come Monday.
Dan




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home