Friday, May 14, 2010

Doctor Wally

The neighbors may have thought Teri and I purchased another GMC. Nope, it belongs to

Doctor Wally. Teri and I are the most blessed couple in the USA when it comes to friends, I mean real friends. Wally called and wanted to come help us with our transmission problem. I told him to drive his Yaris and sleep in our house. He lives in Omaha, 535 miles away. He said, I'd rather bring my GMC. Sure, so we have two in our driveway. Now, that is a real friend. We would never have figured this out without Wally.

Wally brought some gauges so we could see what was going on with our transmission as we rode down the hiway. Remember both Wally and I have glass engine covers so we have an advantage. We can see what is happening while we drive. We checked everything and it all checked out.

So, Wally brought this part. It is the governor. We pulled the left header off and then grabbed my governor. We compared it to his and everything looked the same except the spring colors were different. Well, we had nothing to lose. We had done everything that we could without pulling the pan so we put Wally's spare governor in my transmission and buttoned everything back up. Off we went for another 25 mile ride. Transmission worked and shifted perfectly.

We felt that we had found the culprit but wanted to make sure. So, we set up a 125 mile geocache run for Teri, to be done in the GMC. Here is our first one.

See it stuck way back inside that tree?

Notice the smile on my face. It was not because we had found the cache.

Teri and her second find. It is raining now.

Over the new bridge at Cape Girardeau as we took Wally to Illinois. This is a very nice crossing over the big mighty muddy.

Wondering why I am buying gas here?This should tell the story. Gas was 2.49 all over Cape. I knew this as we had bought gas here Monday on our way home from our daughter's in Indiana.

The coach watching over us while we search for another find.

Wally found this one for us.
Guess what? 125 mile trip, even through some rain storms, and the transmission shifted just like a brand new one. I smiled all the way home. We even took a sight seeing tour through the country on our way back. We put the transmission through all the normal things that we could and it never failed. I could not wait to get home and call our builder, Manny, who was coaching us along the way. He was as happy as Wally and I were. I don't think anyone believed the governor was our problem, including Manny. Just goes to show you that sometimes it is the least expected thing. I am sure glad that Wally had the foresight to bring that thing with him. I learned a lot from this adventure, especially by working with Wally. He is some guy, not only in mechanics, but as a friend. Who would drive their coach so far just to help out a friend? There is absolutely no way I can ever repay Wally, but that is what a friend is for. Real friends don't care what it might cost them when it comes to another friend in need. There are lots of Wallys in the GMC motorcoach family. Many even put their name on a nationwide "Black List" to help other traveling GMCers who might have a need as they pass through their area.
Thanks Wally, you are the best.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home