Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Stuff

I have been down for the count here. Remember the picture of the kids and me eating peanuts? Well, we also played a lot of ball that afternoon. As their parents were taking them home I found it very difficult to get up out of my chair. The following morning, I could not get out of bed. I have this problem ever so often. My back was "out" of whack. So, too much ball playing for a guy that will be 56 in July. Oh, but it was fun. Those boys are very athletic. Anyway, Monday I was much better so I worked all day around the house. Got the yard mowed, drained 2 gallons of fluid from the transmission on the GMC, and washed and polished Teri's car.
See the scooter, forget the clutter around and behind it. That was all I could tinker with while my back was giving me trouble. That is a 2006 Chinese special. A 150 cc engine that will carry me up to 60 mph. Well, it needs brakes if one is going that fast. The master cylendar has stopped functioning.

Picture of the master cylendar. I have found a place on line that carries parts for this thing cheap. Sent a few pictures in to make sure they send me the correct part. I had been having problems with it starting. On line I found out that the valves should have been reset at 500 miles. Nothing in the owner's manual about that. Well, I did that and this little thing starts and runs like no other. Never started this easy from the day I took it out of the crate. Was going to sell it, now I am keeping it. Most all of the Chinese scooters use the very same engine. It is very popular and reliable. They even sell racing parts for them. Some of the Chinese dune buggy go carts also use this engine, GY6.

So, Monday I drained 2 gallons of transmission fluid out of the GMC. We are having transmission problems with the new tranny. It keeps shifting down into 2nd. The builder, Manny, has been working with me to eliminate the things so we can get to the problem. Jim K. has also been helping me.
Let me say something right here. If at all possible, should you need an engine and or transmission, buy it from the same shop that does the work. It gets very frustrating being 2000 miles from where the labor was done. I got the engine and transmission from Applied GMC. If I had known what was ahead I would have just paid the tow truck driver to take me to the shop in Fremont, San Francisco area, where I got the engine and transmission. This is too big of an investment to do it like I did. I know you can not always do that. There are very few GMC motorhome shops but there are a few scattered around. I am one of few that has had problems with a Manny tranny. I am sure I will get it worked out. I just do not relish the thought of having to take the thing out after paying all that money to get it put in. The funny thing is my old one never gave me any problems. But, it was well worn and I was going to have problems soon. I am not capable of taking on such a big chore so I will be paying again to get this done, should we not fix it sitting in the coach.

Well, you may as well see the empty pan. There were no particles in it and the fluid had not been hot. I took a sample to a local transmission builder for his opinion. He is a friend of mine and does what I do not want to, or can't do, on our vehicles. He normally does not work on motorhomes but I am hoping  he will take mine on, should the need arise. He loves elk meat and I love to share mine with him.

What would I do without my best friend? Do you know how easy it is to drain 2 gallons of transmission fluid from a Ragusa pan? Easy. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get it back in? Very. Teri is pouring the kitty litter on the spot where we dripped it as we poured it back into the dip stick hole. Teri poured, I held the funnel. I let it get away from me. My fault.
Ok, there is an update. Now you know why I have not been keeping up with things. We have a trip planned Thurs- Monday. Since the GMC is not functioning we will take Teri's car. The plan is to drop Teri off in Logansport, In. and me continue on to Romeo, Mi. to visit my aunt. We plan to drive home Monday. Never know just what might come about though. No real time frame. We know how to sleep in the Vibe. Will have the camera in hand. I love the back roads so from Logansport to Romeo I will be on them, different routes going and coming.
Have a great week and thanks for checking up on us.
Dan

2 Comments:

At May 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM , Blogger carl s said...

Hey Dan,

Glad to hear your back is getting better. I hope you get to the root of this transmission issue soon. What a bummer!

 
At May 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM , Blogger GMF said...

Sorry to hear of your problems...Both your back and you transmission. I just put a for sale on my 2003 Class A..

Bought a 1984 Champion Transtar! Silly me....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home