Monday, June 21, 2010

Bootheel Youth Camp

Yall be praying for me up here. As you can see I have it rough. Nearly foze to death last night. It got down to 88 around 2 this morning. Teri is not here to keep me protected from the air conditioning in the coach.
I am the co-director. That is a tough job. I really have no resposibilities, kinda like our vice president. I just walk around saying stupid things to keep folks amused.
Back in 1968 we broke this place in good. That was the first year the camp opened. My dad was one of the first board of directors. I later took his place and served for 10 years. Anyway, it took no genious to want to come to camp when I was a kid. We packed this place. Kids would do anything to get a break from hoing cotton. I would stay here all summer but never got that opportunity. Sure beat the cotton fields.
Today it is a bit tougher to get kids up here. They are used to sitting around in an air conditioned house all summer. These cabins are not air conditioned, only the cafeteria. I am going to work on getting these cabins upgraded. The kids just are not used to this and do not wish to subject themselves to it. Parents do not force them to come either. So, we need to attract the children. I think we can do that. Does not take a rocket scientist to know that a bunch of old guys are not in touch with young kids. The board of directors do not sleep in these cabins. I would venture a guess that the average age of the directors is about 65. that is only because we have two guys about 40 now, out of 7.
Alright. Enough of that. Teri is coming tonight or tomorrow. She went to Columbia to take Tyler to a doctor's appointment.
Life is good at BYC.
Dan

1 Comments:

At June 21, 2010 at 8:36 AM , Blogger carl s said...

"Co-director". That sounds kind of like "1st vice president" of a GMC club.

Depending on the size of the cabins, you should look into those ductless mini-split systems to air condition them. Efficient and quiet.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home