Monday, October 11, 2010

A Retired Parole Officer's Day

My beautiful bride and best friend.

Look way back there. We built all of those before lunch.

Another dump.

A little dusty today.

My cousin Reed on the left. On the right, that is my friend Julian. I have known him for at least 45 years. He was the first man of color that really ever talked with me as a kid. He is a super guy. My cousin and I were riding horses, back in 66, and ran up on Julian. He had the biggest black eye I had ever seen. I was about 12 years old. Just could not resist asking him what happened. "Came home drunk last night and the wife put a ball bat to my head". Wow! Last week, Julian told me he told David and me that story just to watch us laugh. He said a bee had stung him. For 45 years I believed his wife had taken a bat to his head. I never came home drunk, well only a couple of times, but I snuck in. Did not want to meet up with a bat.

Clouds moving in. I have been praying for a day off due to rain.

We worked all day and no breakdowns, til now. 530 pm. this buggy broke.

My favorite part of the day, 5pm. The sun really drops fast from 5-7pm. Tonight the clouds covered it up before it hit the ground. Praying for rain.
Hey, I bet you wonder how a college educated guy has so much fun in the cotton patch. Listen, I never hear from a cursing wife because I locked up her husband. Never do I have a disgruntled employee. I have not been shot at since I retired. It has been a long time since I have looked down the wrong end of a 12 gauge shotgun or had the hammer of a 357 cocked on me. Not been accused of taking Marijuanna money for bribes, nope, not in a long time. I was a lonely parole officer in the Ozarks of  south Missouri for a long time. I am no longer lonely. No one has let me know that my house is going to burn nor has a guy come across my desk trying to see who was the toughest. Hey, no stress, no strain. I love not having any responsibility. Life is good. I dream about heading west for the winter in our GMC motorhome, nearly all day.
See, I am one lucky soul and my wife loves me.
Dan

1 Comments:

At October 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM , Blogger carl s said...

Right on!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home