Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day 2010

Here are some of my heroes. No, I really don't know them well but I know they fought for my freedom. Even though I was in the USAF I did not set foot on foreign soil, unless you call Mississippi foreign soil. These guys were there. Some wounded and some captured and tortured. I appreciate every one of them. Our country has always been strong. We need to keep it that way. Today we are fighting a different kind of war. Folks have infiltrated our country so it is hard to know just who the enemy might be. I am all for profiling anyone that looks like they might do us harm. We need to support those who enforce our laws and those who are serving in the military trying to fight this new kind of war. One of the fellas on the float is 97 years old.

The fella in the middle is Ret. Lt. Col. Cliff Manlove. He looks great in his uniform even though he has been retired since 1970 as a pilot in the USAF. He was my high school councilor and encouraged me to join the Air force, which I did.

We had a very nice little ceremony in Dexter today, after the parade. I was too busy taking things in to get many pictures. This one is of the grade school kids that attended the talks. It is encouraging to see these young folks paying attention to what the speakers had to say.
If you are a veteran of the Armed Forces, thanks. If you have family or friends that are veterans, thank them. Our life continues to be great because these people are willing to protect us from harm.
As always, life is good. Today I feel it is good because of those who have served.
Dan

1 Comments:

At November 12, 2010 at 4:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,

You're right. We have freedom and speak English beause of them. I was in the military for five years. Spent one in Turkey with the USAF Security Service (intelligence) at the beginning of Viet Nam.

Yesterday I was driving by a Jiffy Lube and they had a sign "Free Oil Change for Veterans". I looked at my sticker and it'd been 5,000 miles since the last one. I drove in and asked if it was true. They said, "Sure!" and "Thanks." I said thanks back and can go another 5K thanks to Jiffy's appreciation.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home