Friday, October 29, 2010

Hamilton, Alabama

This is a nice memorial to the miners here in Brilliant.

I found graves that had been here a long time before my grandfather worked in the mine.

This building is over 100 years old. A real nice place to hide the cache I found. Grabbed one at the miners' grave yard too.

The entrance to the old mine which is now closed. Was nice to stop and think about how it must have been when my grandfather worked here.

A quick find. I found 9 caches today while Teri was busy with my cousin. Got everyone I looked for.

This one is in an old Magnolia tree. A great hide.

Here is a small one at a road sign.

I liked this one. It is hidden behind a sign at a truck stop just outside of Hamilton on the new I-22.

Now, this was rattlesnake country. I was about to give up on this one. then, I saw it. I was a happy camper to get out of these woods, behind an old cemetary.

Walmart. I love it when I can just pull up and snatch it out the window. this was number 9, all by myself. We have about 2-3 more left in the Hamilton area then we will have to venture out.

My grandfather's first cousin lives in the house, behind and to the right of the little building on the road. Bud and Alice. Super folks but life is getting tough for them. He is in his late 80's now. I remember him as a younger more active fella.

These are my great grandparents.

My great great grandparents. He was in the civil war. His father died in a battle down in Columbus, Ms. and is buried in the Confederate Cemetary there. I often think about how tough life was for my ancestors. A quick visit to one of these old graveyards will show you that lots of children died before they were even school aged. I really wish I lived closer to this graveyard so I could help keep it up. We do send money so folks can keep it up but I would like to see it nicer. My grandfather's cousin, Bud, used to keep it really nice but he is no longer able to do it. This is the Buttahatchee Cemetary. My dad and his siblings lived just up the hill from it when he was small. They attended a school across the street and worshipped at the Barn Creek Church of Christ.
Well, that was my day. I think tomorrow will be shopping in Tupelo or Florence. Not exactly my kind of day but I will make it. Will be a nice husband and earn lots of points.
Thanks for hanging out with me.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home