Thursday, February 17, 2011

GMC Motorhome,On theRack

I believe we have found a great shop. When we broke I pulled the Black List up and called Steve Ferguson. Same thing I did last year. The Black List is a group of GMC Motorhome owners that are willing to help others who have broken down. Teri and I are on that list and we never leave home without it. I was not calling a wrecker this time until I knew where I wanted to go. Last year was my first time. This year, my second rodeo. We are not moving til I hear back from Steve. It was a stessful Saturday last year when I had to fight with the insurance guy who I cancelled. Go check the pictures. So, Steve called me back with this guy and this is where we are coming, no matter what.
John owns Friedenberg Automotive, not far off I-10. Take a look at the picture. He has 4 lifts that vary in size. John has been here for 40 years, right behind all the new car dealers of Tucson. Before they were here, John was here. He has two young men here that are very knowlegable and part owners in the shop. They both came to John while in High School. Listen to this: 85 year old Don is here getting work done on his car. They check the battery. The machine says it needs replacing. The young man tells Don, "I would not worry about it right now". He could have sold a battery. An older gentleman comes in this morning with a "leak". The other young man checks it. Boot on driver's side has a slight tear and is slinging grease. Tells the older fella, I can slow that down so you wont need me to pull the axle yet. Honesty, I like it. Yes, I believe we have come to the right place. Thanks Steve for knowing John. I hope John and the others will allow me to post their pictures. Sharly is the secretary. What a pleasant voice when I called to ask if Teri and I could come here. I told her Steve is sending me. Sharly does not know Steve, talks with John, "bring it on in here. We will be waiting after hours for you". Ladies just do not realize what a pleasant sounding voice does for guys in distress. Reminds me of Grace K. She answers the phone at Applied GMC.
About 8 am I get my wake up call from Teri. John is semi retired and starts work at 9 am. Teri calls so I can get up and get my shower and be out of John's way at 9 am.
At 9 am, I get a call from our daughter Melanie. "Dad, guess what the topic of discussion was at the breakfast table?" How do I know what the kids were chattering about? She tells me: "The 3 kids were talking about how they have the best granpa ever. Why is that, Rylan? Because grandpa lets us stay up late, watch Billy the Exterminator, and takes us out for ice cream at the local soda fountain drug store". Music to an old guy's heart. Grandkids are great. Should have had them before we had their parents, have I said that before? Made my day by lifting my spirits.
Last evening Carl calls and Kathy has supper for me. Ain't that nice? It was great. I get home around 9 pm and there is a note on my door from someone here in Tucson wanting me to go eat breakfast with him. I waited til this morning to call him and was too late, got a message machine. I ain't giving up. Rob hollars at me from up in the Phoenix area, I am coming Friday to get you. I tell him Teri is not here til Saturday afternoon. "Ok, will come Monday". Ha, not sure about that. Wants to see me, Teri, both, or just Teri? We love Rob and spend time with him every chance we get. And, last but not least, I get a note from Linda and Gary in Yucaipia, Ca. "We are coming back to Quartzsite and will be there for a week, off and on. Come over. Even while we are not at the trailer you can stay there". How can a guy be depressed about money when he has friends like Teri and I have?
Friday, there is a GMC gathering in Gila Bend. I may run over there and visit with a few friends. Not that far over on I-8. Been through there several times and have camped in the campgrounds where the gathering is. Don't want to be there in July but it is nice in February. Will get a lot of pictures if I go.
Saturday afternoon our daughter and grandson will be passing through Benson on their way to a 4H thing down by Sierra Vista somewhere. Teri will ride with them and I will meet them in Benson to get her. Life will be much more fun with her here. I do not do well without my best friend. She will keep me out of "idleness" no doubt.
Life is good. I learned that phrase from an old friend, Arch. He no longer travels and takes pictures in his GMC Motorhome so I try my best to carry on where he left off.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home