Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Our GMC Motorhome Has Modern Braking Now

You be the judge, do we have brakes? Man, that was tough on my nose, which has already been broken twice.

Here is the man of the week, Alonzo. This guy really knows his stuff when it comes to GMC coaches. If you are ever within 500 miles of Applied GMC and need anything done to your coach, this is him. Thanks Alonzo for picking up the slack when Donny took the week off. we hope to see you again before too long.

Oops, a minor problem that sidelined us for an hour or so. Was just getting back on 101 after fueling up in Salinas when all I had was brakes. No engine, just brakes. So, I pulled it over to the side of the road.
The fuel injected group has it over on the carburator boys. We have a fuel pressure gauge. When one has a problem always check your fuel pressure. Well, who thinks straight when the coach just quits? I pulled a plug wire. The spark looked weak to me. Off came the cap and module. Replaced the Paterson module then the distributor cap cracked, or was already cracked. Out comes my spare distributor and I swapped caps and coils. Hit the key, nothing. Now I look at my fuel gauge, no pressure. Pulled the air horn off the throttle body, no gas. Wait, I do not hear the fuel pump running.

Take a guess who this is. No voltage to the fuel pump. Trace those wires. Hmmm, can't seem to figure it out. Called the "hook". They get one on the way and will tow us back 70 miles to Jim's. I do not give up. Interesting. I have three wires melted to the driver's side header. Straighten that all out still no gas. Checked the fuse, looked good. Kept tracing wires and came back to the fuse. There it is, I can see it is blown. Replaced it.

Come on, crank baby. Vrooom. Off we go. Called Jim back and also called the wrecker off. We hit the road. Will not run. What did I do? I put a used module on it that Dick Paterson gave me several years ago. I got what I paid for. Was in a hurry and did not keep looking for my new one. Pulled off again and put the Paterson module back in the distributor. Wow, it was ready to roll. I am sure if you were watchihng the tracker today you were scratching your head.

Life is good, purring like a wild cat once again.

Had to stop at the James Dean Memorial again and get a postcard and cup of coffee.

Teri did not particularly like me taking this picture inside the resturant but I did anyway. The nice waitress laughed when Teri told me not to take the picture and I did anyway.
Gone frome there and up the Grapevine. I hate that thing. Went over the hardest climb at 50 mph and a big 2 on my vacuum gauge. Not bad. I was not towing the car. Jim wanted me to drive today without the toad so the pads get seated in with just its own weight. So, that is what we did.
Take a look at the tracker and you see we are on the east side of Palmdale, Ca. Highway 138 heading east. Walmart and Lowes. We are between them. Sure beats a noisy truckstop.
Want to stop and see Miguel and the other shop owners that we met last year but just don't have the time. We will do it next winter.
We have moved over 350 miles today even after having a delay or two. Not bad. I am tired now though so won't be long til I hit the sack. Follow us tomorrow if you have time. We have about 100 miles til we make our destination for Thursday. Friday we head back to Quartzsite for the weekend.
Oh, the new frontend is great. The coach drives just as good as it did before we did it. That was what I wanted. It rides good and Alonzo fixed my 4 year old air leaking bag. Was a hairline crack in a fitting. I am telling you, the guy is good. And, the brakes, well, you saw the picture.
Dan

1 Comments:

At February 10, 2011 at 9:11 AM , Blogger carl s said...

Funny picture on the brakes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home