Thursday, February 3, 2011

Modernizing Our GMC Motorhome

This is the view out our back window. Not bad for the first of February. Teri and I looked at very similar mountain sides all the way up here on 101, both sides.

Donny is so good at this he can do it in his sleep.

Alonzo on the other side of the coach as they tighten the sway bars for the reaction arm braking.
Let me say this, if not for these two guys I would not be doing what we are to our GMC. I have known both Donny and Alonzo for 4 years. In that time, only they have made improvements to the coach. The blown engine replacement was not what I consider an improvement and I was caught with my shorts down on that. I have all confidence in these two guys. Jim did a really great job pairing these two up. As far as I know, there is nothing I would not entrust to them on our coach.

These pictures are mostly for our GMC enthusiast friends. Here you can see the reaction arms tucked in behind the disks and bearings.

Ok, look at this. This is the difference in the old verses new front bearings. The new one, on the floor, is twice the size of the old, in Jim's hand. The photo does not give a really good comparison in size. Trust me, the 89 4 wheel drive Chevy 1 ton is twice the size of the old Toronado bearing. No tool needed to install and take out either.

Rear calipers in place. This baby is going to stop quicker than my dog did with Teri holding the remote to our dog's shock collar.


The old rear drums. Good riddens. I am tired of trying to keep these things up and working. Twice I driven through El Paso with only front brakes trying to stop 10 wheels. The toad brake was not working either time as I could not get enough "rock" to make it go off and push the pedal. That is how little brake I had. Rocking motion sets off the toad brake. I had none.

Picture of the GM 1 ton axle going in.

I had 30,000 miles on my front bearings. Notice there is a zerk fitting in the knuckle. Twice during the 30,000 miles I put two shots of grease in each side without loosening the axle nut. the bearings still feel tight.I think that fitting is a good idea.

New lower control arm going in.

Ok, this shot is for my Vdub friends back in Mo. This van uses a Porsche engine, expensive. Belongs to one of the employees here. Same guy owns the little bike I put up a couple of days back with the 650 Yamaha engine going in.
Have I ever told you how blessed Teri and I are with friends? I think I have. Deb and Terry came down today for a visit along with Larry. We appreciate them coming to see us. Sunday we will run over to Deb and Terry's for the Super Bowl. Deb brought us some homemade cookies and they were so good. Yes, "were". When the guys in the shop found out about them that was it. We are also going to visit Doug and Irene before we get out of here. They live only 70 miles from the shop.
Ok, you are up to date. Our 74 GMC motorhome will be as modern as we can make it after this upgrade. I like the fact that I can pull into any GM place and get modern parts.
 More pictures to come,
Dan

1 Comments:

At February 4, 2011 at 7:37 AM , Blogger carl s said...

Awesome! As someone on the GMC Net said, 'your coach WILL be the envy of all the rest of us"!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home