Saturday, March 12, 2011

Getting Our GMC Motorhome Ready For Travel

Getting our coach ready to roll is normally no big deal. Today is the day. I have not seen this much dust on it every. We had two bad dusty days last week. I got out and dusted the thing as best I could. A must is having a car duster. This works very well. A trick I learned from members of our car club. Now, I need to take a dryer softner sheet and get a few bugs off the windshield. Will then Rain-x it good. We rarely ever use the wipers on any of our vehichles. The GMC windshield is especially formed well for Rain-x to work great. I learned the dryer sheet and bugs deal from a fellow motorcycle rider. Just dab the sheet in a bowl of warm water and wipe the bugs right off the paint or windshield of your vehichle. Rinse off the residue with cool water. Saves lots of time and elbow grease.
See the dust up on the engine? Most of that will blow off Monday when I hit the road. I am not going to worry about it now. This morning I pulled the glass engine cover to make sure my axle bolts are tight. That is something folks need to think about when owning a GMC coach. I have seen and heard some wild stories. When these thing come loose you have problems. We used to have these safety wired but now I just try to check them when I do my normal checking of things. I checked the intake bolts last week and they were all tight. Also checked the fan clutch bolts, then on to the headers. It is funny, I find the driver's side header bolts tend to loosen while the passenger side never do. We had 175 miles on the new gaskets and a couple were in need of tightening. Using the thick Remflex gaskets this time. Have wasted enough of my money on the Mr. Gasket copper ones.
Hatch is on and we are ready to fire up Monday morning.
In 06 I purchased a set of Tire Sentry air pressure monitors, for the ten tires. They were expensive but at the time the only ones that allowed the owner to change his own batteries. The other popular company charged 20 dollars to change the batteries. During the entire 3 year warranty period I had all kinds of problems with these things. Last year I sent the entire system back. The warranty was up. They told me I could only use the Energizer batteries due to the physical dimensions and making good contact. That worked well and I paid them 40 dollars for that advice. Now, I am checking them again, before our trip. I find one on the toad that will not transmit a signal.
Well, I worked on the thing for 2 days and have now given up. The right rear toad tire will have no monitor on our way across Tx. I do not like this but nothing I can do. Should have checked these things earlier I guess. The tire pressure was too high in my tires. Make sure you keep a check on tire pressure. I hate doing this chore and one reason I bought the sensor system. Most tire blowouts, I believe, come from low air pressure causing  the tires to get hot. Absolutley no way you can eyeball a radial tire and know if it is low or not, unless it is almost flat.
I have my duties and Teri has her's. Do we help each other? Of course we do. But, for the most part, I maintain the exterior of our vehicles and running gear. Teri takes care of packing them. She does an excellent job.
Our friend Doug rewarded Teri's excellent talents by shipping her this carrier. I showed it to you last week while we assebled it. To me, this looks like a theft item. So, I sprang for a locking pin. It should deter a normally honest guy from trying to steal it. Hang on to see what we put on this thing.
That is about it. I am getting a "look" from my best buddy. I know I need to help her with something. Funny how after 10 years we can kinda just look at each other and get our point across.
Life is good, watch the tracker Monday, wd0afq.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home