Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rollin, Rollin, Rollin, In a GMC Motorhome into Kingsland, Tx.

Oh yea, I saw the sun coming up Monday. In fact, we were on the road long before the sun came up. Jerry told me to call him when we were at Lordsburg. I called, "you have got to be kidding" was about all I could get from him. Teri said "I told you not to wake them up. Oh, I got messed up on our times. Az. does not do dst. We were on the NM line, Az. side. So, I guess it was 5 am when I got up, NM. time and 6 when I called Jerry. No matter, he was up and waiting.
See that little spot in the mirror? That is Jerry and Rosemary. MM 62 in NM. They were there all day yesterday, right into Menard, Tx. I think we covered almost 700 miles in 12 hours. Jerry wanted to roll so we rolled.
Coming into the Lone Star state. This place is big. We pulled off at a rest area just as we crossed into Tx. We thought a 747 was trying to land on our roof.
Nope, it was us making that noise. One of the band clamps had slid up on the 3 inch exhaust, just behind the collector. Easy fix and on the road again.
Time for an oil filter change in Van Horn. Had 500 miles on the engine and the builder told me to change the filter at 500 miles. I changed it right here.
Yep, that's me again. Seems the band clamp slipped again. I put the hammer to it this time and it made it  the rest of the way. This thing is loud running with 4 cylenders open.
Just a nub along I-10 before we got to Ft. Stockton. Right past this we saw a herd of wild hogs grazing in the grass along the interstate. I counted 10. At a distance I told Teri to look at that monster gopher. Well, as we got closer it was no gopher.
Once we got onto the two lanes, south of Ft. Stockton, the towns were 50 miles apart. Every time we approached one I would ask Jerry on the radio what he thought. "Only 50 miles to next town" was always his answer so I knew what that meant. He had ground to cover and was rollin on. Finally, at 730 pm, the sun had set. We were in Menard, Tx. Jerry, look at that spot over there by the water, near the bridge. "Let's try it". Perfect.
I am telling you it was like riding 200 miles in a wildlife preserve. Wild hogs, a big horn sheep, turkey, turkey buzzards, antelope, skunks eating dead animals, and 5,000 deer, not counting the antelope. And, do you know what is the size of a softball and goes "kaboom"? A meadowlark hitting a GMC windshield headon with GMC doing 65 mph. That will get your attention quick.
Suppertime with the Wheelers. Rosemary brought some great stuff over and Teri had chilli. It was great. We visited for a while then it was bedtime. We had traveled a lot of miles. Jerry took about 50 pounds of weight from our coach by trading me a window for some parts I had no need for. Teri was happy. Rosemary, not so much.
Early morning visit before parting ways. We parked looking at the water, hidden from the road. We were behind a body shop. About 5 am a wrecker dumped a broken vehichle and we did not need an alarm clock. We said our goodbyes and pulled out of Menard about 8 am.
About what we found fuel for the entire trip. This was in Menard. How much did 30 gallons cost me?
The counties in Texas have some nice courthouses.
This is how big Art, Tx. is. I took this shot for my uncle Art, who is from the hill country of Tx.
What is this?
You know what this is. Came with a factory T-10 and a 260. that gives you the year, tell me.
It now has this souped up 289 and a Cobra frontend. Nice little ride. He towes it behind a Foretravel. The owner sold his GMC coach 5 years ago.
So, I am in Kingsland today while Billie and Teri are playing cards. I am doing the Charles Kurwalt thing. Every shop I stop at wants to know why I am in Tx. Then, every one of the guys tells me to" tell Billie hey". There has to be 3- 4000 people here. All of the town knew Lanny and are thinking of Billie. Lanny must have been a legend in Kingsland.
So, this little town is right on LBJ lake. I will try to get some pictures while we are here. I am sure Billie will be a great tour guide.
Dan

2 Comments:

At March 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM , Blogger gates said...

Citroen Deux Chevux, means 2 horsepower, I think.

Sold for $1195 POE in 1961.

 
At March 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM , Blogger gates said...

A citroen 2CV..Deux chevaux, meaning 2 hp in enlgish, I think. Sold for $1195 POE in '61.

JG

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home