Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Geocaching Thanksgiving

Well, things were going to be kinda slow around here today so I cut a trail about 10 am. Grabbed the gps and headed east. There were 4 caches in Sikston I needed to have the town finished off. Here is one of them. My 3rd time here and looked at the thing every time. This time I got to log it with a smiley face.

Look at that thing. I hate these tiny ones. It is stuck to a screw head via magnet. there is actually a log sheet in that thing.

3rd time was charm on this one also. Every time I have been here there are too many people around. I will look suspicious so I have not given it a real going over before this morning. No one out on Thanksgiving morning so I took my time and grabbed it.

See if you can find it. Dog gone I hate these things. My first attempt here but the gps was spot on. I could not help but see the thing. Now, I head for the last one in town. 2nd trip over to the park where it is hidden. No luck. Another day when Teri can be with me.

Matthews truck stop. So many truckers out this morning I could not get to this to look inside. So, I just took a picture. If folks see me they will go take a look. It has already been stolen once so I did not want to draw attention to myself.

This one is in the middle of nowhere, so named. I am telling you it was 3 miles out a muddy gravel road south and west of Portageville. I found a shorter way back to pavement.

This little bad boy is just north of Hayti, on east side of 55. Went right to it. Another gravel road. I think this is number 6.

Number 7, Walmart in Caruthersville.

Number 8. right on the mighty muddy.

See the river? Also, see the mud on Teri's car?

Number 9 was a really neat place. A grave yard with about a dozen graves from the mid 1850's. This guy was responsible for the bootheel on Mo. He owned this ground in Arkansas. He knew Missouri was a much more progressive state and wanted to be a part of it. The man was allowed to give Mo. the land so he could be called a Missourian.

This is the cache.

Number 10, also in Caruthersville, Mo. I like the container as no water can get in it. Found it under the skirt of the light pole in the background.

Had muggles here. I had to be stealthy. I was. We have been to this park before. I guess we did not find it a couple of years ago. Another rain proof container and the last cache in the Gambling Boat City. Mark it number 11 for my day.

Well, I think this is number 12. Way out in the boonies on an old railroad track bed.

Oh yea, number 13 was hiding about 400 yards down the ditch bank, just north and east of Kennett, Mo. I really did not want to walk in there but hey, its my last one for the day, why not. For some reason the actual photo did not load. Take my word for it, I found it hidden down where the coyotes sleep. No way Id go here in the dark.
Thought I found 14 but counting them here I see 13. Might have missed one somewhere. Oh well, it kept me busy today and my mind off Teri and her dad, not really. Did keep me busy though. Teri called me while I was hunting down these treasures. Her dad was back in surgery for the 4th time. Doctors did not believe he would make it through, but he did. Thanks for all of your prayers. This has been a really hard time for us. Teri has been at her dad's side ever since the first 12 hour surgery about 3 weeks back. Portland is a long ways from me but we stay in touch via phone and computers.
My sister and her family stopped by just after I got home and was eating my lunch, about 430 pm. They are in the area until the weekend. From Michigan. Left here about 30 minutes ago heading to the St. Louis Arch. Why, I have no clue. I went up in that thing one time back in the 70's. No more. I stay at the bottom when Teri and I take folks there for a ride. I do not like going up in that thing. My sister will be back here tomorrow.
Well, hope yall had a great holiday. Keep checking on me. Never know what an old guy, staying by himself, might get into. Keep praying for Teri and her dad.
Thanks,
Dan


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home