Saturday, November 12, 2011

Revisiting Memories Through Geocaching

It is funny how certain things trigger our memories, sometimes just an odor. Yesterday while in Gideon I wondered if my grandparents and parents would approve of the person I have become. Today I traveled a rural area again in search for geocaches. 30 years ago I was the parole officer for the southern half of Butler County, Mo. As I rode along the rural roads I could recall faces that lived along these roads so many years ago. Most of them were good individuals who had just made a mistake, or two, in their judgement. 
My first two stops, Qulin. Forgot to take a picture of the second cache. 

A cemetary just north of Corning held two caches.

I had 12 cache coordinates in my gps. Need ten to break 700. Thought I would give myself 2 to spare. Yesterday I could not locate one.

Another cemertary in Corning. Nice place to visit but I am not ready to move in yet.

Squeeze this little guy and he will throw up a 35mm film canister with a log in it. He lives in a tree right in the middle of a rural cemetary.

This old church building watches over the cemetary where the frog lives, just west of Corning. It triggered more memories from nearly 30 years ago. My daughter was a flower girl in a friend's wedding at this place in the very early 80's. My baby is now 33 years old and the mother of 4. I kinda doubt I will see if this building stands for another 30 but you never know. Teri takes good care of me.

Just east of Corning is another rural cemetary. Actually two.

About a mile east of the one above. I get kinda nervous when there is a Confederate flag flying close to where I want to go. There was one at the house next to the graveyard. Well, when I walked out, there were three of them in seperate yards. I started the car and headed east toward Piggott.

Pollard, Arkansas. This little community sits about 3 miles south of the Mo. State Line. Some of my mother's family came here from Alabama and settled this place, back in the 1800s.

A very nice park just to the west of Piggott. This is where they have the big car show. Piggott is also famous for their 4th of July celebrations, at this park. It covers several acres, I am talking 120 or more with a nice lake.

The park is home to 2 seperate caches. This was number 700 for us. Not bad for caching less than 2 years.

Check this out.

One of Ernest Hemmingway's places. He married a girl from Piggott and they lived here for a while. There is a big museum behind the house.

Grabbed this one as I left Piggott.

It was located at this sign on the east side of Piggott. Next I continues eastward, across the St. Francis River into Holcomb, Mo.

A very famous resturant to all who live within 100 miles of it. Strawberry's is famous for their pork steaks, and other grub. One will have trouble eating a whole one at one sitting. They are one inch thick. Very good.

Look close.

You will see this hanging inside, at the top. My 12th and last cache for the day. It is identical to the one I forgot to take a picture of in Qulin. This was in Holcomb. Signed the log and drove north 35 miles back home.
The weather was warm, cloudy, and very windy today. I left home at 1030 am and got back about 330 pm. 145 mile run. Takes more miles, and time, to grab numbers in the rural areas but much more fun than caching the urban places. Hated being alone but enjoyed the memories. Life is about making great memories. My life is full of them. And, life is good today. Thanks for keeping me company this afternoon.
Dan

1 Comments:

At November 13, 2011 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Wally and Sue said...

I never knew Hemmingway lived in Missouri. Cool stuff

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home