Monday, December 19, 2011

Geocaching Rural Arkansas, South of the Border

Here is where we start. The geocache map online. Click up the caches I want to locate and enter the coordinates into the little cheap gps. Did this last night when I found out my 8 year old grandson, Colsyn, wanted to head south of the border with me.
Our geocaching neighbor, April, helped me with the ones I put into the gps. She told me which ones were gone so we did not waste time on them. She cached this area yesterday. We are looking at a very rural area. Some of the caches I checked, online, have not been visited since February of this year.

All was cool, heading to our first cache just west of Greenway. this train was stopped on the only crossing in town. We sat there and so did it. time to move so we headed to Rector.

Guess what? Yep, same train. At least it was moving this time.

Over the tracks and out of the car. I had trouble keeping up with Colsyn.

Our first find of the day.

On to our second. I could see that Colsyn was having a little trouble with his direction so I helped him a bit.

Yep, right where I thought, at the base of the flag pole. Notice the color.

Check that smile. The boy had his first find, all on his own.

Colsyn is home schooled. Today was a history class. We were on the Chaulk Bluff Trail. I explained to him about the Civil War and what happened here 150 years ago.

This was a really neat hide. The container had a large piece of tree bark glued to the top. You could not see it. We knew it was there.

You see it? Look at the color.

Oh yea, you found it. A neat cemetary north of Rector.

Can you see the color? You can always tell when Colsyn finds one on his own. Look at the smile.

Have you figured out what the official color is in Arkansas yet? Yep, camoflauge and Colsyn fits right in. We talked hunting the entire 120 miles today.

Colsyn just could not see this one, can you? City park in Marmaduke.

A little help from grandpa made this one jump out for Colsyn.

There it is. Check the smile. A neat graveyard.

Today, first was last. We had to come back to this one after the train left. Going to let you in on a little secret. In Arkansas, just because there is a co. rd. marker, and the road is on the gps, that does not mean it is a public road. Colsyn and I jumped some ditches getting to this last one. We came in from the south and that almost turned into a mistake, but we made it. Will wash Teri's car before she gets home. It is a mess.
I realize that most of you are not interested in geocaching but it is a great way to hang out with your children or grandchildren. They love this stuff. We are planning a trip for Friday if the weather cooperates.
Hope Santa makes it to your house and thanks for riding with us today.
Dan

1 Comments:

At December 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM , Blogger April said...

Yeah, my car needs washing too. I hit a big puddle and sent up a big spray on one side. Then I hit another puddle and covered the other side. It's decorated now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home