Friday, May 9, 2008

More Great Friends

Sam and I had two great nights and days with go on our friends, Dianne and Blaine. They are great folks. This is the second time in 6 months that they have taken Sam and me into their home. The only thing that could have made our stays better would have been if Teri had been with us. She has not been with us on either trip. On both of our stays Blaine has helped me out. Last fall we put a new hitch on the GMC. This time he had 2 lower control arms for me that will eventually go on our GMC coach. You would think Blaine would hate to see me coming but he sure does not act like it. He was on the porch waving at Sam and me as we left early this morning.
What a great day for a drive. Was overcast and just a nice day. There are three of these covered bridges right around Blaine and Dianne's home. I had to get these pictures of the closest one for Teri. She loves covered bridges. There is a fall festival for the bridges in October. Maybe we can go up for it. I did not realize Indiana had so many covered bridges. As you can see they have had plenty of rain. The little creek was really swollen.










We decided to get off I-70 at Terre Haute and take the "back roads" home. Right off we found a Dollar Tree and grabbed several bags of trailmix.
Headed south and crossed the Wabash several miles downstream over into Illinois. As you can see the Wabash was full.








ou Look close and you will see the oil well. There were several in Illinois and they were all pumping. I wonder why.


If you pop this photo up you will see that we were getting very good gas mileage in the Vibe. We drove mostly 2 lane roads at 57-58 mph. Avereaged 37.8 mpg. That is the best I have gotten on such a long trip. It was fun taking our time and seeing the sites. Saved 15 miles from our trip verses going the interstates. Lots of little towns, was just fun.










I had seen an article in one of the motorhome magazines about this place. It was really wet.












Check out this wooden walkway going out throu the swamps. It was closed today because of high water. I think it would be neat to walk out into the swamps on this. We had already gotten off of highway 1 and were south on 45 here.











A national cemetary on the route. Very nice but we did not go inside.












Southern Illinois is very wet. All of the creeks are overflowing and the rivers are full. I don't see how they can handle much more rain. This was just south of the wooden walkway and north of Cairo a couple miles.









Oh yea, Missouri is coming and the sun begins to shine.













The old mighty muddy is full too.
















A nice trip. Just wish Teri was with us. She is in Az. for a couple weeks.
Check out the shots below from Blaine's shop. They treat Sam like a queen every time we go. She loves the Merrells. Maybe it is the bacon.







This is what Sam thought about my work. Blaine has a very nice shop. It was warm in there and Sam fell right to sleep. My beating and banging did not bother her. Notice that she was napping in front of the door. She was not going to let me leave her in Indiana.















Here are the parts I went to Blaine's for. Got both lower control arms to have built up for spares on the motorhome. He had the clip up on his rack so it was very easy to remove the parts. We even had it upside down, making it much easier.














































Thanks for riding with Sam and me on this trip. We hope to pick Teri up at the airport in a few days. We may take a side trip between now and then so hang around and come on back. Never know what we might get into.
Dan






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home