Thursday, August 21, 2008

Accent

Ever wondered what a Volkswagen Bug looks like with the frontend and gas tank removed? Well, wonder no more. Trying to clean up some wiring here. The original wiring harness is gone and a home mead one in its place. It is fine but I must get rid of unused and unknown wires and start over. Not too bad a job. Much easier with the front gone. Also, am waitning on some frontend parts to arrive and it is so much easier to work on it with the front off and the gas tank removed. Am hoping to get most of this done tomorrow and Saturday but am still waiting on the steering gear box to arrive. This is going to be a nice ride when we get done with it. Pretty much starting over on a 1961 car. Sound like fun? Well, it is the kind of thing I enjoy. Got to put some kind of heater in it before winter comes in Missouri, it has been all removed. Don't worry tho all of these parts are available. I will get it. Before that we must replace windows that don't fit. I have no clue how or where these windows came from but they do not fit. Funniest thing I have seen but not so funny when I am the guy trying to figure out how to repair them, ha.





A shot of the back end today, just before I pulled it all apart again. Had the wrong alternator and after chasing parts for 2 hours figured it will be easier to just buy the correct alternator and be done with it. It is supposed to arrive at Tony's Autoparts at 930 am Friday from Portland. I am hoping I can have it all back together by noon. We shall see. You can see that the belt is out in the open. Well, I have too many grandkids for this so I have a chrome cover that will keep little hands and fingers out of that. Right now the top of the engine is off and covered with plastic to keep the rain out of it. So, this is where we are on the bug. Saturday evening I need it rolling. We will see.
Oh, the title, accent. It seems that I talk different than a lot of folks. Those of you who know me may have noticed that I sometimes drag a one syllable word into 3. Well, it seems to have served me well up here in yankee land. Folks must feel sorry for this dumb southern guy as they want me to always tell them where I am "from". Then, they go overboard trying to help me. Yesterday a clerk asked me where I came from. I was afraid he was done with me so I tried to talk fast and really messed up when I said Missouri. He then called all over Vancouver trying to find a part for me. When he could not find it he made one work for me. I played that one for all it was worth. When I realized he was liking the way I talked I really dragged it out and he really helped me out. Today, same thing. Guy says, "where are your from?" Missouri, his dad was from Joplin. He did not have the part and called all over town til we found a place that did. Worked again. But, talking slow does not get me any breaks on prices, I will tell you that. I do not hear myself with an "accent" but I guess that is normal. So, now when I go looking for more parts I will make sure I talk real slow. Folks back home never say anything about it. I guess we all talk the same.
So, that was it for today. My cousin Sharon invited me to supper and it was my favorite, Salmon. She even sent the remaining fish home with me. Oh yea. I can handle that. I love salmon.
Thanks for hanging with Sam and me. She is asleep as it was a long day for her. Tomorrow may be longer so I am letting her snore away. Will get some more pictures tomorrow. This old motorhome is great. I could live in here full time.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home