Monday, September 22, 2008

My Ten Minute Rule

I have this "thing" about chores. If I can convince myself that I can do it in ten minutes then I am off and away. Sometimes it might take me 5 or 6 days to convince myself that I can do it in ten minutes, but hey, that's ok. What else have I got to do, right?
Well, I had three "ten minute" chores for this morning. Look at the first one here, picture. If you look at the left side of the coach you will see no bugs. The right side, facing the coach, is still covered with Nevada bugs that are really baked on. Been putting this one off all week. All the while, they are cooking away. Not a problem. Let me share with you a little tip to make this a "ten minute" chore, no matter how big the front of your vehicle is or how many bugs are cooked onto the front of it.

See, ten minutes and the bugs are gone, did you time me? 5 minutes per side.
Here is the deal, works every time. I have a garage full of bug cleaners that I have bought. None of them work, none. Now, sneak into your wife's laundry room, grab two dryer sheets, those fabric softner things. They are little square sheets. Get some warm water, cold will work. Dip the fabric sheet into the water and then rub the bugs off with it. Make sure that you have some clean water to rinse as the sheets leave a soapy substance on the vehicle. Bugs wipe right off. How do you like that? See, an old retired parole officer has a few tricks up his sleeve. This works great on motorcycle windshields. In fact, a motorcycle friend is the one who told me about this. I did not believe him. I was afraid it would scratch my paint. So, I practiced on Teri's old Geo with years of Az. bugs on it. Worked just like I was told. So then I cleaned up my truck and have been doing it ever since. Now, none of my friends have any excuse to come see me with a "buggy" frontend, unless you are expecting me to demonstrate, and, I will. Pass this along once you convince yourself that it will work. It is a good tip for car guys and scooter boys.

Ok, here was my second "ten minute" chore. I pulled the rear seat back out of the bug. The seat bottom was already gone. I do not plan to have a rear seat but carpeted storage instead. So, I eliminated 25 lbs of weight. Now I can put my guitar in the car and not add any weight. Not leaving my good guitar here this time like I did back in the Spring. My old one at home is just not the same. I can take it home and the car is still lighter than it was before I put it in there. Remember we are towing the bug to Mo. with the Vibe, 1350 miles. 800 of it through Tx. No climbs to make so we should be fine. New tires on both vehicles.

Ok, number 3. What is this? Well, it is my monitor for the ten tire sensors. We have 6 wheels on the coach and 4 on the car. This thing keeps an eye on the tire pressures. If one drops the light flashes and an alarm goes off, telling me which tire is going flat. I bought this before I retired. Was a costly thing, 700 bux. It is good insurance for me though. If a tire drops pressure I will know it before damage is caused. There is no way one can look at a radial tire and know it is low. I hate checking each tire everytime we stop for gas. Also, if a tire goes low or blows out I will not feel it if it is on the car behind the motorhome. Well, I had one light and alarm not working on the monitor head. Company told me to send in the sender, 3 year warranty. Got it back, still does not work. So, now I have to send the head in. Well, since we are leaving the coach here now is a good time to send it in for repair. I am less than happy about this but at least it is still under warranty. I made my mind up to purchase this particular unit because it allows me to change my own batteries with "10 for a buck" from Dollar Tree. The other two major units require you to send in the senders and they charge you 20 bux per unit. 10, uh, that is 200 bux. Was not a hard decision for me when I learned this about the various systems. There are some things I hate about this company, and their product, but still seems to be the best unit for the money.
So, there you have my 3 ten minute chores for today. Cleaned off the bugs, took out the back seat, and removed the head of the tire monitoring system from the dash. 30 minutes total and I have the rest of the day to myself, and Teri. I try to look busy everytime she comes around though. Working pretty good so far. Its only 2 pm, I might get caught yet.
Oh, the kids are taking us out for supper tonight. Saved us a trip over the mountain to Walmart. Can do it with them tonight.
Well, back to looking busy.
Dan



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home