Friday, September 26, 2008

Oops!!!!

I do enjoy visiting Tx. What I said yesterday was said in jest as we were on a mission to get home. Did not mean that there is nothing in Tx. to see.
In years gone by I used to visit Tx once a year. We would travel to Weatherford for a few days each June or July. While not the best time of year to be there it was lots of fun. One year I think my son and I hit every pawn shop in Dallas and Ft. Worth. We found ourselves in some, "shady" places, at times however we sure had fun. Many of my boots were purchased in that area. Being a ham radio operator we worked our trips to coincide with a big radio convention there in Arlington. Had a blast there. I want to stop in Weatherford and spend a day or two. It looks to me that it has doubled in size in the last 20 years. That is a neat town.
We bought our motorhome in Pflugerville, Tx 4 years ago this month. Funny that most of my fondest memories of Tx. have been in the heat. We need to get down there during the winter months sometime and really enjoy the place. San Antonio is another place that I like to visit. Once I said that I would never go back there. That was when I was in the Air Force, during basic training. Certainly I did not enjoy that stay a lot, but it was not bad. What hit me the most was the heat as I was there during July and August.
Here are a few pictures from our trip through on I-10 and I-20. By the time we hit I-30 I was on a mission to hit that Arkansas line and relieved to be out of the Dallas 5 o'clock traffic pulling a bug. No pictures there.



Lots of this going on. Too bad that we all don't own at least one of these. Just 2 or 3 barrels a day would sustain my living costs. We saw lots of new ones being drilled.





Something that we did not take pictures of were the new wind turbines. There used to be a lonely string of them just west of Abilene. Now, they are going up everywhere. I bet one of the groups had over 500 in one big patch. They stretched as far as we could see north and east of the interstate. I think this is great. If I lived in this area I would have one for my home along with all the solar panels that I could afford to stick up on the roof.


Well, here are a couple of reasons that we were in a hurry to get home. Had been gone for 3 months and these 2 have really grown. Its amazing how fast our kids develop. From "grunting" to actual words in a short period of time. From shyness to outgoing, almost over night.
So, lots of good things in Texas. I enjoy watching a TV show on the RFD channel. They have a reporter that travels the back country gathering interesting stories of the state. Have seen lots of places through his eyes that I hope to experience in person one of these days. A couple of years ago there was a reality show that took place in Vega, Tx. Teri and I watched it a lot. We stopped one day there and visited with some of the same folks that were on the show. Really neat. One day, I plan for us to take the motorhome to Tx. and see lots of neat things that the state has to offer. So many little out of the way places. I would like to be a "Charles Kurwalt" and just step out of the GMC and start interviewing folks about their favorite things in the small back rural areas of this big state. You do know that Charles used a GMC in his show, right?
I am told that I write too much and use too few pictures. With that said, I close for the day.
Thanks for traveling along with us. I will keep yall posted on the goings on around here until we hit the road again. I usually find myself in some real predicuments, will try to carry my camera along.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home