Saturday, February 6, 2010

1031

What is that number? That is the number of times our blog page was loaded on Saturday. I can not believe it. I rarely look at the numbers but we have been working to get a new engine ready for the GMC. I have posted several pictures of our broken engine over the last 2 days. I wanted to see if anyone was looking. Nearly blew me away. We hope that we did not disappoint anyone with boring stuff. There were almost 700 on Friday. Hmmm, I need to figure out how to collect 5 dollars from each one that looked at our blog Saturday. That money would go a long way on getting us out of hock here at the shop.
I may use that number when I have to argue again with the Progressive adjuster on the tow bill. If I could collect part of that tow bill I would not feel as bad. Even if we don't get it we still made the right decision coming here to Miguel's shop. Not just any mechanic can work on our coaches. remember the GMC that I showed you on the hook last Thursday? He was on his way home from getting new wheel bearings in the front wheels. He did not even make it home before both of the front wheels went bonkers. They did not install the bearings properly and they came loose. Not good when traveling Interstate 10 out in this area. I had the opportunity to visit with the owner. He let me know how scary it was to survive that experience.
We will head to church services in the morning. There is a potluck after morning worship then afternoon services at 2. Our plans are to visit my cousin over in West Covina after that. Might be kinda late when we get back home tomorrow evening. Maybe I can get some good pictures during the day.
Our lunch with Frank and the guys was certainly a bonus here. Teri fixed a plate of fresh vegetables and most were eaten. I love the Mexican food. There was also fried chicken. I am telling you, these shop owners have really been nice to Teri and me. Anything we need they will try to help us with. Frank befriended us the first day we were here. I really enjoy talking with Frank. He helps me understand some things I have never known about before. Let me say, we get a distorted view of this area via the news. These folks are as friendly, or more so, than people back home. I love it here. Maybe I can get a job and just hang around here til Spring. Would be nice to work my way out of the financial setback of this new engine. My friend Jim Kanomata has been good to us. He got the engine built up in the Bay Area and then Manny and Gary brought it to us. These guys are all on the ball. I wish everyone had the work ethic instilled in them like the people we meet out here. The world would be a much better place.
Flooding in the LA area. Lots of mud slides. Our Friend Neil Martin lives in an area where this is happening. We hope he will be ok and are waiting to hear from him.
Thanks for stopping by again. It is bed time for us.
Dan

3 Comments:

At February 7, 2010 at 8:09 AM , Blogger carl s said...

That is an impressive number. You are one popular couple!

Keep after those Progressive people. Insurance companies treat people like that and then get upset when they decide to get a lawyer involved.

It's been raining in Tucson since the middle of the night. The storm you got in CA is moving east.

 
At February 7, 2010 at 10:05 AM , Blogger newyorker said...

Your blog friends have been following you and we all wish you the best. Your positive attitude is wonderful.
Those #$%@## insurance people can sure make things difficult. Let us know how you finally make out..

 
At February 7, 2010 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dan, those little marks on top of your piston look like signs of detonation to me. If you see any others on other pistons, that is a sure indication that your engine has been detonating. Normally caused by low octane fuel, ignition too far advanced, engine temperature too hot. The side of the damaged piston was brownish colored below the ring area. If the other pistons are not the same way, then this engine was PROBABLY assembled with a broken top ring, with the ultimate results being what you have now, a grenaded engine. I have seen a lot of detonated engines because of our "reformulated" gasoline. Engines that operate in severe service like our GMC's work harder than passenger car service. Have your mechanic double check your mechanical and vacuum advance in your ignition and verify that they are in spec for motorhome service. I wish you well with your new engine. I am a fellow GMC'er with a 78 Royale with a 403. Jim Hupy, jamesh1296@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home