Friday, February 26, 2010

Over The Mountain

Oh yea, I had to make a trip across the mountain into Safford this afternoon. Click the photo up and have a look, just left of where the dirt dauber nest used to be. Oh yea, that is the piece of plastic line to my oil gauge that I left in. About 3 years ago we blew one of these and the glass engine cover saved us. I replaced all that I could get to with a copper line that JR Wheeler gave me. I spliced it in out under the hood, leaving a short piece of plastic running through the dash to the gauge. Well, not a good idea. It got so brittle that it just broke in two. I am getting real good at taking our dash out. Did it again today. This line broke. I started the engine and could not figure why I had no oil pressure showing. I knew I had pressure as the engine sounded good. I killed it and went out to look. This line was broken and the oil was pumping out on the ground.
Checker wanted 20 bux for an oil gauge "kit". Or, they had 8 feet of line for 9 dollars. I grabbed the nine dollar thing then went to Napa and got 3 barrels that crimp the copper so it does not leak. Why 3? Well, I dropped one in the dash. I knew I had better get 3 at 15 cents each. Glad I did.
We have oil pressure again. I replaced the broken speedo gear with a special one that Jim Kanomata sent me. Glad to have that done. Took me an hour to get it to pop in over the seal. I was too tired to install the new transmission line. I will have to lay in the dirt to make it fit. It is a headache job that should only take 10 minutes but those threads are almost impossible to start on new lines. I will figure an hour and then have to take a shower. That should stop the transmission from over heating.
I was having a problem with my fuel pressure gauge reading half when I pulled the headlights on. That was new. Also, the temp gauge would jump when I pulled the headlights on. I replaced the headlight switch yesterday and got a new knob for it today. Anyway, I put a ground on the back of the temp. gauge and stopped that problem. I grounded the dash in a few places but could not fix the fuel pressure gauge problem. So, I got under the hood and found my headlight relay harness ground. It did not look good. I cleaned it up really good. That did the trick. Now when I pull the headlights on everything works as it should. Had a loose ground on the back of the block that I also ran in with my fingers then put a wrench on it. Got to have good grounds.
Oh, don't let anyone tell you that the "higher ups" in Arizona are not on their toes. They realize that revenues are down. Not only are they closing most of the highway rest areas but they are also closing the camp grounds. And, they are putting troopers and cameras everywhere. Yesterday Teri and I passed, or met, 4 troopers in less than 20 miles. They were on 191 south of Safford. Drive the speed limit if you come to Arizona. They will get you if you speed. I make sure to set my cruise a mile or two under the limit, using our gps.
I had to stop and see if I could locate the cache that has been eluding Teri and me for a year. We pass it every time we go to town. I dug around there for 30 minutes this afternoon and still did not find the thing. We are not giving up.
Friday is here. The weekend has started. I will stay off the roads so you working people can enjoy your days off. Thanks for stopping by. We are really enjoying this winter out here in Az.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home