Wednesday, July 21, 2010

O Wow, Happy Birthday To Me

Yep, 56 years ago today my parents brought me into this world, Detroit, Mi, with a broken shoulder. They had to leave their firstborn there for a few days. I was not happy about that. We stayed in Detroit for 4 years after that day. My sister and brother came along within a 3 year period. My aunt and uncle lived just a couple of blocks away. They made for a great time any chance I had to be over there.
My aunt and uncle stayed but we moved to Missouri in 1958, My dad's cousin came up on the train and helped us move to Bernie. There I had a leave it to Beaver life. My mother was a teacher and our great aunt babysitted us. In 1962 my father sold his gas station and bought a farm. Our whole world was turned upside down at that point. At least mine was. We were 5 miles from town. Once my father found out that his dad had taught me to drive a standard shift car, at age 7, he figured I could drive a tractor. Oh yea, went to work on that farm at age 7 after being plucked from a life any kid would have loved. Our farm life was a good life. We had everything we needed and more. At 16 my dad bought me a 1965 Mustang Fastback which I still own. We did not get paid money but we had lots of stuff. But, farming did not suit me so when I graduated from high school off to college I went. Retiring at 52 was a good thing for me. I felt like I had been working all of my life so why not.
Now you know it, I hated cotton farming, ha. Thanks for all of the well wishes today. Must have gotten 30 or more. Every year seems to just get better. While my body tends to age my mind seems to regress, especially when my grandkids come around. 3 of them came running in this afternoon with cake, icecream, a baloon, and card, all excited. So, I just got excited with them and we had cake and ice cream. I had just eaten a big piece of my birthday peach pie made by one of my older widow friends, before they got there. There was still room though.
Hoping all of your birthdays are as happy as mine .
Dan

3 Comments:

At July 22, 2010 at 7:39 AM , Blogger carl s said...

Good to hear you had such a good day. Mmmm...peach pie is my favorite!

 
At July 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM , Blogger GMF said...

Happy Birthday to you, day late sorry. Hope it was a great one..

 
At July 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Jsimon63 said...

Is this a true story??? LOL! Everything you went through growing up built character...and we all know, you are a character!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home